Thread: Backpacking Stoves, resupply, and weight

Crotch Rocket

Backpacking Stoves, resupply, and weight

This subject has been on my mind ever since I posted that boom review a short time ago. What I found confirmed my suspicions and taught me a few things. To quote:

If you are resupplying for less than ten meals, solo and three-season backpacking: Alcohol Stove
    If you are a couple and/or going long time between resupplies, want something quick and *convenient or need to do real cooking:
    Canister Stove other than Jet Boil
    If you are solo and want a convenient all in one solution and/or very fast boil times: Jetboil or MSR Reactor
    If you are winter camping/high altitude mountaineering OR doing 3+ person meals: White Gas Stove
    Doing lots of “real cooking” in a forest environment and not hiking far: Zip Stove
    Want the absolute lightest stove and price/resupply (and don’t mind slower boil times) is not an issue: Esbit
    http:// www.pmags.com/stove-comparison-real-world-use
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

I like your listing.

Although l think l would find the stove best suited for my area or bug out location and then work on my fire starting methods. Limit your use of your stove to emergencies or low light tactics. Resupply might be in high demand.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

In his experience the hammer head is better

Backpacking Stoves, resupply, and weight

I love camping stoves and cooking over an open fire. I have three types of backpacking stoves. I have a but load of esbit stoves and fuel for them, I also found I can supplement them and use small sticks to fuel them too.

My favorite is this varga stove. Burns wood so there's no re supply needed. It's uber light and compact. But it is a little pricey. http://www.vargooutdoors.com/hexagon...l#.UtdAJni9LCQ

The other version is a collapsible twig stove. It's cheap and works well. However it's not as compact as my Varga. Here's a link to a review. http://www.southernpaddler.com/phpBB...php?t=7158&f=4

These twig stoves are nice because they don't need re supply. They obviously don't heat as quick as a jet boil or similar stoves but they work very well if most your cooking is done in a canteen cup.

Last little hint I have for using stoves like this is to keep a few pieces of tinfoil in your gear. You can use it to cover the canteen cup, and to make a windbreak for a hotter fire. It helps keep the ash from falling into your cup...and the aliens/gov from frying your brain
    "When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." Thomas Jefferson
    "It's less dangerous, to run across a wild animal than a stranger." Vasily Peskov