Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Traveling to Joplin, MO

Crotch Rocket

Traveling to Joplin, MO

I was presented with an opportunity to work on a disaster relief team in Joplin. I'll be gone from 31 July to 6 August. I'll post my experience when I get back, much like I do with the mock bugout drills. If there is anything specific anyone wants me to relay re: a post shtf environment let me know, and I'll do my best to observe, document, and recount it. Now I'm gonna add a new element to my pre event posts:

The scenario is that I'll be traveling in a small convoy of cars that don't belong to me, working everything from home repairs, to demolition, to clearing debris... And driving back home. All tools, meals, and lodging are provided while in Joplin, but I will need to take my own: sleeping bag/ mat; work gloves; and N95 masks.

My question is, what else would you take? Limit is one bag of gear equivalent to the average unprepared person's luggage.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

I'll most likely shit myself

Good broke in work boots, safety glasses, multiple bandanas, any meds you use, including ibuproen or similar. I'll continue the thoughts on this and add more later.
    I have had to prepare for a similar effort although I was used srictly for communcations. I had a lot of gear, but a small focus with it. I'm sure some stuff will carry over.
    Good luck and stay safe.

Crotch Rocket

I'm almost 100% on track with you so far. The exception being that I hadn't considered the need for multiple bandannas. I planned on carrying one, just because they're useful. I figured a ball cap and the N95 masks would cover most situations for me. Is there something I'm overlooking?

Boots are definitely covered. If I have enough space I'll be talking two pair. One pair is fully broken in, the other will be by time I leave. Its this second pair i most want to take, the first pair is a side zip. I've never had an issue with them, but I'd hate to experience a failure under these circumstances.

I need to get a new pair of prescription safety glasses, and preferably goggles.

I just checked my meds, and (assuming I don't do anything stupid this month) I've got enough prescription meds to carry me through the duration of that trip. My OTC meds are not so robust. I'll be restocking and taking Motrin, Benadryl, and Immodium AD. I'll also be be taking an individual trauma/ first aid kit and supplementing it with more alcohol pads, antibiotic ointment, and bandaids in a pocket kit. I'm anticipating more minor injuries among the group than anything else. Speaking of which, I need to go get a tetanus shot. The final items I'm considering to this end is in foot care. Powder and cream. I remember the heat and humidity almost knocking me on my ass before. My FAK has an electrolyte packet and water is supplied, so heat injuries are avoidable, but I already know some members of our group aren't going to be educated in proper foot care - we have a number of teens going with us.

Aside from the first aid supplies, the bulk of my gear is going to be clothing. While we have shower's available I'm not sure what our laundering capabilities will be, so I'll be carrying 5 "grunt rolls" (1 days undergarments per roll), 3x rollable LS cotton shirts, 3x cargo pants, and 5 extra pair of socks. I'll be wearing sandals, a tshirt, and shorts down there, with a fresh shirt packed to wear home. I'll have a hygiene kit, of course, so putting new clothes on isn't pointless.

Otherwise the only additional things I've decided on are my 100 oz. Camelbak, travel food, and some caffeine pills. I'm starting to wish I could offer my vehicle to the group, I could have a much better loadout then.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

Not knowing about what kind of meals, spices. This may sound extreme but what about a weapon? (repairs, clean-up etc. all could be advertisment for who knows what) I don't know about the clean-up your doing but maybe a hardhat/helmet.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

I'll most likely shit myself

I keep a bunch of bandana's around. Mostly for wipin sweat, but they are useful for many things in a pinch. Mine get nasty pretty quick when I'm out working. Good thinkin on the 2 pairs of boots and extra clothes. If it is permissable, I would certainly take my own truck. I hate being anywhere without a vehicle. The comfort of having your own wheels and the gear that intails is priceless to me.
    I gave this more thought today. Your situation is a lot different than mine was. I had some personal gear, but mostly it was commo gear. The personal gear you've discussed pretty much covered what I had with me. The googles could be very important. Maybe a hard hat as well.
    Sounds to me like you have things pretty well underway. Good luck with the trip. I'll be interested in hearing of your expereinces.

The source of all known trouble in the universe

Quote Originally Posted by mitunnelrat View Post
    I was presented with an opportunity to work on a disaster relief team in Joplin.
    I applaud you for what you do.

Crotch Rocket

Extra bandannas it is then! They aren't something I commonly use, but it strikes me they're much better than resorting to a shirt that is likely to be filthy in short order. I think hard hats are provided when required, but I like the idea of having my own better and will see about borrowing one of my dad's. If I'm lucky he may have a spare toolbelt too, and I could carry my Stanley Fubar and put it to the test.

Spices are another excellent idea.

A firearm is out due to travel restrictions through Illinois, and the lodging in Missouri itself. If I had my car this wouldn't be an issue, but my fiancee is already pissed I'm missing a family camping trip for this, and if I take the car (Its ok to) she needs for hauling the camper... Yeah...

Anyway, thanks for the help and kudos guys!
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Resident Seafood Procurement Officer

Good luck with your trip. Looking forward to hearing about your experiences.

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

Mi if I were you I'd be taking insect repellent! You are in Missouri after all and the skeeters love open flesh right around dusk and in the early morning. A good fixed blade and a folding knife would also be desirable.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

Crotch Rocket

I did forget to mention the insect repellent, good spot! I used Deep Woods OFF wipes on my last mock bug out and I'll be stocking right up on them for this trip. As for knives, I EDC both a SOG Powerlock and a small fixed blade. I think the SOG tool is gonna get some grind time under the Dremel though, the tools don't lock as well as I'd like.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!