Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DIESEL 'EXPERT': Need advise ASAP

I'll most likely shit myself

That is the brand I run in my fuel. Haven't had any issues. Glad yours in running better.

Let him know if you need 550 cord, a hank of generic rope, and some duct tape

Did you check the carb or the plugs?

Glad its up and running. Maybe check the fuel filter for any shit that got sucked up from the bottom of the tank when you ran it dry.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Im flat broke now, but come payday.... Ill be swapping the primary and secondary...

At 5.f, I think gelling was the main suspect, but as you pointed out... empty-trash-filter makes good sense!

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

For the Love of Cats

Up here in the real cold, the refineries actually add something to the fuel so consumers don't have to. As long as it is plugged in to start, a diesel will run all day. We have one diesel forklift at work, and it spends most of it's life idling outside when it isn't in use, an yesterday for example, it was -45C and it ran like a top.
    I'd be checking the injectors... sounds like you sucked up some crud/water from the tank when you ran it empty. And yeah, gas or diesel, try to never let your tank get too empty. asking for trouble!
    dump a can of seafoam in.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

I'll most likely shit myself

Sniper do you guys use Bio-Desiel or straight? Our stuff at work is all BIO and we were told this week that they were bringing in straight and to use only that until spring.

For the Love of Cats

both are available, it is basically the consumers choice what you want. A coworker runs biodiesel in his Jetta and swears by it... while another runs regular in his Ford, and swears by it. 6 of one...
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    I ran a Ford 6.9L for probably 10yrs.
    Yes the fuel will gel when it gets cold. Actually, it's not water, although you do not want water in the fuel.
    As you refine crude oil, there are many things produced along the way, going from only a little refining, to very well refined. I used to have the list, in order. I'll see if I can find it. Anyway, diesel is not that far down the list, just a few notches after fuel oil, just a notch or two above kerosene. Diesel still has a fair bit of oil in it, and still has paraffin(wax) in it. When it gets cold enough, the paraffin hardens out, becoming a waxy gel in the fuel. This won't flow or burn properly.
    I used to add kerosene in the winter as anti-gel, because I didn't want to spend the big bucks either. In the Fords 20 gallon tank, around a quart is sufficient, but two is even better. You can go higher if you want. I believe the Blazer has about a 30 gallon tank. If so, I'd probably put somewhere between 2 quarts and a gallon per tank, depending on just how cold it is. You can add kerosene to 50/50 to get your fuel back, but it won't go down the lines, just get the tank.
    Kerosene also add cetane, so it's like octane booster is to gas. It will also make the engine run hotter, so be careful about using it in the summer. I used to have to cover the entire radiator with a sheet of cardboard, with about a 4" square hole in the center to get the engine temps up to normal, and get heat. Plugging it in overnight when it's this cold also helps with starting.
    If you put gas in your diesel, it will run, as long as the concentration isn't too high, but you're killing your injector pump. The oil, wax, and sulfur still in diesel lubricates the injector pump, which gas does not have. This is why the trucking industry went crazy when the EPA demanded getting sulfur out of diesel fuel.
    You can run gas of you add oil to it. Even better is to add oil and kerosene. We had a truck at work got about 3/4 tank of gas put in it. I added 2 or 3 quarts of oil, and topped off with diesel, and it ran ok. A little hard to start.
    Try to avoid ether. They get "addicted". This happens because burning the ether form a glaze in the upper firing cylinder area, which insulates the firing cylinder from engine heat and glow plug heat. once fully "addicted", it will only start without ether if the engine is fully warm.
    This can be cured. Fire it up, let it warm up, take off the air cleaner and spray WD-40 straight down the intake. Do it until the engine just about chokes out, wait until it settles back down, and do it some more. If mildly addicted, 4 to 6 times usually does it. If not, just do it more.

All of this info is for older, pre-computer diesel engines. I do not know if any of this will work for computer controlled diesel engines.
    Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Oh yeah, ether... must always carry a can, but ONLY for EMERGENCIES!

Mine has only had one shot since Ive owned it... that was after I had pulled all the hard lines to replace head gaskets (yeah, lots o' fun!!).

Trying to purge the system was a major pain... The only thing that got it to crank & fire was a 1 second shot of starter fluid, after that she was golden, has been ever since.

Im thinking Fixr must be considered a resident diesel expert, seriously!

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

When I am having trouble getting my tractor going (glow plugs are hit and miss) instead of using ether which causes build up. I put some chainsaw gas (2 cycle mixed) gas on a rag and hold it on the air intake. Crank it over and it fires right off. Knocks like crazy for a second but runs.
    It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    One shot of ether won't addict it.

Never tried the chainsaw gas thing.

Don't know about an "expert", just drove the Ford diesel for about 10yrs, pre-computer engine. Was mostly poor, so found the least expensive way to get around. Diesel mechanics were few and expensive, so learned about it and worked on it myself.

I took a standard F250 with C6, International Harvester 6.9L, 4 wheel drive, model of 1984, and converted it to military 1 1/4 ton solid axles, independently mounted gear drive transfer case (meaning 3 drive shafts), and rebuilt the C6, along with two injector pump replacements, head gaskets (stupidity), injectors, and other more standard things. It rode on 44-18.5-16.5R" Monster Mudders. The AC died and I installed a converted AC to air compressor pump. I personally did all the work and fabricating.

I certainly don't know everything, but I could keep it running, on the cheap.
    Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.