Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIESEL 'EXPERT': Need advise ASAP

plenty of extra room "down his pants"

DIESEL 'EXPERT': Need advise ASAP

So... It was f'in cold last night, ambiant temp 6.f and wind chill of zero.f or less.

I was driving to work and the truck started to wind down... then surged, and cycled for a while... I feared it was about to cut off, so I pulled over and sure'nuff, it shut down.

Last week, I ran out of fuel on the way to work (Yeah, it was a *LOT* of fun getting it started when I brought the 5gal can back to it, had to f'in walk home in 26.f temp!), and it was "acting like it did last week when I ran out".

I sat, pissed, worried and stressed. I now have to walk home about 2 miles, in gat dum 6.f temp, with the wind howling...

After about 2 minutes, I cranked and it started, but didnt want to stay running... I turned it around and by the time I got the the house It was lulling like it had no power and I more or less drifted to my parking spot.

The fuel gauge is reading just below 1/4 tank, I *should* have had enough to get to the pumps this morning, I was about 1/2 way there...

In SWVA, we NEVER HAVE THESE TEMPS, so I have NO IDEA how diesel fuel acts... I am wondering if it was cold enough for some gelling, or not?? Ill be going to get a few gals to drop in the tank and give her another run, but I still am concerned maybe it got too cold for her?

She was plugged in, so the batt charger (10A set on auto mode) and block heater ran for 5 hours prior to crank, but the fuel line and tank were.... naked.

Any feedback is appreciated...

('82 K5 Blazer with 6.2L Detroit Diesel NA)

EB

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I was thinking of going to the truck stop to get some "diesel antifreeze additive" if I need to, but Im too broke to spend the money if it's a waste...

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

Bacon saver

UH, I wish I could I help you brother. I know just answering the thread probably just got your hopes up. But it does sound like it gelled up to me. I'll pass your problem on to my two "trucker" Brother-in-laws and see if they'll respond. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Hopefully I can get something to you in short order.
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownwater Riverrat 13 View Post
    I'll pass your problem on to my two "trucker" Brother-in-laws
    BWRR, I thank you VERY MUCH for doing that for me, I dont have any local contacts with experience & knowledge in this field, so I truly appreciate your effort!!

EB
    "AR - America's Rifle"

Bacon saver

LadyHK just informed me that one of the brothers said you need to run the additive. All the truckers run the additive......except one. That would be the one brother-in-law that was broke down up in Det-riot just recently for almost a week. He's an independent who became dependent, it hurt him financially. That was his first run up north, he's a southern trucker, he was unloading, the truck was running and it died at the dock! That's what I have for now, I'm not sure about getting that fuel up to the injectors. That's going to be the bitch.

Okay bro, looks like I need to wait for the temps to rise to allow the gelled diesel to go back to "normal" state.... Which will be a day or two.

I can run a quick thaw additive, but Id need to pull the filters and add 50/50 to them before crank.

It is supposed to get up to 42.f this sunday so that would be a good day to thaw out and then add the typical anti gel additive...

Because, its going to dip back down to 8.f THIS TUESDAY night... Thats the plan, anyway...

If there is ANY MORE info, dont hesitate to post up!

Thx,
    EB
    "AR - America's Rifle"

Bacon saver

OK, talked to #2 he's the smart one. (A trucker) He owns a diesel truck and even makes his own bio till the chinese guy decided to start selling his old oil from the buffet. He used to get it for free. He said you need to keep your tank full for cold weather. (condensation) The other thing was you could run some kerosine in there as well. It will thin the mixture. Kerosine is diesel just with and oil ash additives. Also yes with the additive. He wasn't sure about your area and the type of diesel they sell up there but they sell different types in different geos of the country due to environmental conditions. That's about as far as I can get ya.

I'll most likely shit myself

First off I am no desiel mechanic! We have a bunch of Deseil Kubotas at work and last week most all of them did the same thing. Today same thing again. They run Bio-deseil in everything and today we got a notice that we needed to start using only pure deseil. Apparently the bio attracts water and causes it to gel quicker. But any fuel will get water in it either from the tank where you fuel or condensation from your own tank by letting it run low. It is best to keep tanks topped off, this limits condesation.
    BTW, the additive does help. I store fuel for my tractors and keep treatment in everything that has fuel in it.

The hot sexy one

Just some thoughts
    Running out of fuel last week allowed the water and garbage get into filter, low temps froze water restricting filter.
    Yes, your temps was low enough to gell untreated fuel, the fuel appears very cloudy prior to gell state.

Yes warm temps will only help you now unless you go thru additional processes.

Gasoline added to diesel will lower gell point. Last resort if necessary and only above 40 degrees for proper mixing.

You could heat some diesel up with additive added and pour into tank raising the temps of fuel in tank. I would try a 2 to 1, add 10 gallon of warm fuel to 5 gal of cold.

Very helpful guys... Thanks for all the advice! Im just waiting on a thaw right now...

EB
    "AR - America's Rifle"

Yesterday, I got some Power Service in the white bottle for winter...

Today, the temp got up to 39.f and I was too anxious to wait for it to get any higher.

After several cranking sessions (to keep the starter from over heating), I got the War Wagon to fire & run. A little rough at first but smoothed right up.

I took a can and got 5 gals of fresh DF2 and dumped it in, bringing the gauge to 1/2, then added a few ounces of Power Service.

I first drove it around the block, in case something went wrong Id be in easy walking distance. A few circles around the neighbourhood and then to the secondary. Two trips up and and back then brought her home.

Later in the evening, I took her to 7-11 for coffee and it started & ran fine. It actually ran BETTER than it has in a long time, so Im sure the additive has some good lube stuff AND the cetane boost must be doing some good for it.... WIth ULSD and an old engine, Im pretty sure I need to be adding this stuff to each fill up... summer time will be grey bottle.

Temps tonight (26JAN14) will be 32.f, but Mon is slated to be 6.f and Tue 8.f, so Ill know better then, but Im pretty sure... the problem is solved, and as long as I keep some liquid love in the tank, shouldnt happen again.

Thanks for everyone's help!!!

EB
    "AR - America's Rifle"