Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New vehicle options

New vehicle options

I will soon be in the market for a truck. Right now I want a toyota tacoma, but the upcoming chevy colorado caught my eye at the san diego auto show. I rather disliked the first colorado, but chevy is pretty good about coming back strong with their remakes. I love chevy but don't want to be the guinea pig for this truck either. Tacomas are proven trucks so chevy would have to prove it to me first. What do you guys think about the 2015 colorado? And no this discussion isn't asking which brand you like better haha I have to say that because people will answer every question except the one I asked.

Regardless of brand I do not trust the first gen of any new made vehicle. I prefer to buy a vehicle built on the same body style for a couple of years so they have had time to discover and fix all the glitches.

I think you would get a better truck in the Tacoma. It has been built for several years on the basic same body style.
    It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark.

Bacon saver

Well in my "opinion" uh CHEVROLET vintage tin of course.

- - - Updated - - -

Something you can work on and get parts for.............cheaper than what you mentioned above.
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    The other side of the coin, are you SURE you want to go into DEBT for this purchase?

I agree, it would be nice to have a new vehicle, but would an older one accomplish the same task?

Going into some debt at some point, is unavoidable for most... but by the decisions we make, we are in control of that debt.

Usually the number one goal of an ant is to get out of debt, so as to no longer be a slave to the system, no longer feed the machine and have money to invest in tangibles that would be needed in an emergency.

The debt doesnt stop at the monthly payment, a new vehicle is likely to have sky high insurance and personal property taxes (I know, not all states)

Example, I need to put a new alternator on my '82 K5 Blazer... that will cost me about $60....

But even if I had to do a mechanical repair every month to keep it on the road (which sometimes it feels like) its still a fraction of the cost of a new vehicle. I pay $59 a month for car insurance for two vehicles, and I just now paid the personal property for our two beaters, at $89.

Every time I start my truck and drive it to work, I feel like Im sticking it to the man!

Im sure you already know all this, but it may make you revisit the principles, and possibly introduce them to someone else.

GL buddy,
    EB

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, BWRR, I want to play...

The window paint was for fathers day..

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

Bacon saver

So who's sending these post, you or your daughter? Sweet rig brother and YUP! I'm game, I need to stretch the tires on that puppy anyway. I took the dually out yesterday. Fired right up no problem with all the freezing temps down here. I have a trickle charge solar panel on the dash for both and a quick disconnect for the battery under the hood. So there's no drain while they sit idle. Seems to make them happy.
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

I am with 11B I am not buying new vehicles any more, except I am planning on buying a ELIO when they come out next summer. 3 wheels 68 mph A/C, heat, and brand new for 6800 bucks. But when my 05 titan needs replaced I am getting a old diesel. No more debt for me, if I can't pay cash I aint getting it.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

Good points fellas. Well the reason I wanted to go new is mainly because I will be obtaining a chunk of change fairly soon from a recent family member loss. And if there is anything that I've learned while in san diego its that people do NOT take care of their cars (or maybe just the ones I buy haha). With a new car I have a clean slate and have will be somewhat in control if things go wrong with it. So I guess with this in mind, if you could buy new and barely be in debt if at all, would you buy new?

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Quote Originally Posted by adapt619 View Post
    Good points fellas. Well the reason I wanted to go new is mainly because I will be obtaining a chunk of change fairly soon from a recent family member loss. And if there is anything that I've learned while in san diego its that people do NOT take care of their cars (or maybe just the ones I buy haha). With a new car I have a clean slate and have will be somewhat in control if things go wrong with it. So I guess with this in mind, if you could buy new and barely be in debt if at all, would you buy new?
    I would not spend that much on a new vehicle. Like I said I will be buying a new car for going back and forth to work when they come out, but they will be about 7 grand new. I would rather spend 30k on a storm shelter, or solar, or wind power, something like that, that gets me more off grid.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

I would get myself completely out of debt. Or invest in something other then a vehicle. Vehicles lose 1/3 of there value the moment you buy them. I never buy new. If it were me I would invest in land. Land never loses value. Property price varies area to area. Here in Arkansas land can be had from 1k to 2.5k an acre. One of the best things about land is they aren't making any more of it. It will gain in value or at least hold steady guaranteed.
    It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark.

Quote Originally Posted by Possom View Post
    I would get myself completely out of debt. Or invest in something other then a vehicle. Vehicles lose 1/3 of there value the moment you buy them. I never buy new. If it were me I would invest in land. Land never loses value. Property price varies area to area. Here in Arkansas land can be had from 1k to 2.5k an acre. One of the best things about land is they aren't making any more of it. It will gain in value or at least hold steady guaranteed.
    That is a excellent point on both the value loss of vehicles and the value stability in land. However, the value loss of the vehicle wouldnt mean anything because I wouldn't get rid of it. I feel it happening again haha I'm stalling until someone gives me the answer I want to hear