'Mornin!

The other week I watched an episode of 'Ultimate Survival Alaska' where one of the characters put screws into the high points of his footwear to effect ice cleats. I'm guessing they were 1/4~3/8" long and would think you'd want 6 per foot. I plan to buy some screws like this and seal them into clear plastic bags/packets to have in my EDC, vehicle & evacuation bag. While I do have good cleats they tend to be at home; packs of screws like this could be a compact backup.

Now on to the theoretical part: My vehicle is 4wd with snow tires. Its quite rare that I've traction issues but the events in Atlanta force me to admit that on a sheet of ice I still wouldn't have proper traction.

Presuming that one's tyre treads have enough rubber to prevent 1/4~3/8" screws from doing damage, do you think that putting a couple dozen in each tyre would provide passable traction if you felt it was important to drive in such conditions? (I suppose washers may be a decent idea to protect the tyres from the screws being pushed in?)

Or am I just risking puncturing my tyres?