Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you doing for entertainment when the SHTF?

Administrator

What are you doing for entertainment when the SHTF?

I just started finding my inner nerd and am amazed how many card games there are out there. So it got me thinking, we all are prepping for our SHTF scenario but what are you doing for entertainment to keep your sanity during SHTF? Books, card games, whittling, watching paint dry? Let's hear your plans. My plans are books and role playing card games.
    I don’t have “hobbies” I’m developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set.

Mainly books when I have time to read. I think our sleeping habits will change post shtf as well. No more tv to watch at night or internet to play on. We will go to sleep when it's dark and wake up at daylight. Spending most of our time outside when weather permits our kids entertainment will be playing outside the same entertainment I had growing up lol
    It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark.

I'll most likely shit myself

Possum, I think you are exactly right about our clocks changing. My grandma on one side went to bed every night no later than 8:00pm barring something important. I expect that will return to a large degree. The big exception I see to that would be for security.

As far as entertainment goes. Time permitting, reading would be high on the list. Backgammon, acey-ducey, plus we have quite a few card games, chess, checker, chinese checkers, board games, monopoly, risk. Whittling and carving would be calming and possibly useful as well.

Crotch Rocket

Just a side on sleep. If we do experience an event that knocks out our power long term there's evidence to suggest we'll actually have two periods of natural sleep through the course of a night, with a couple hours of being awake in between. I'll have to find a source on that I can share here, but it was apparently a productive time for both scholar and stud.

I'd say at least part of that is entertaining.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Do you have a robot?
    We used to have a cabin which was off the grid when I was little (that's many, many years ago). We did have some board games but it was cards that were king. We would play them at night for entertainment. Although we all read a lot we did not do much up at the cabin because of the limited light. We played cards by the one oil lamp and you really didn't have much light to read by. During the day we were always doing things outdoors. We did not have any electronics with the exception of a radio that would only pick up channels late at night when the signals came in better since we were in a hole. We would usually eat after dark and go to bed relatively early. Then we would be up at sun up. So I am a firm believer that in a SHTF situation most people will time their sleep cycles with the sun and moon.

Cards are cheap so buy a bunch.

Yes, its short. No, its not his attention span.
    Probably going to make a lot of babies.

And play an unhealthy amount of cards against humanity

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Dig, plant, water, harvest, preserve, eat, sleep, repeat. Don't suspect there would be a lot of time for recreation especially with the sheeple about.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ak474u View Post
    Dig, plant, water, harvest, preserve, eat, sleep, repeat. Don't suspect there would be a lot of time for recreation especially with the sheeple about.
    Come on. You don't have a bunch of old popular mechanics magazines tucked away or a few good fiction novels tucked away?

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Quote Originally Posted by 2die4 View Post
    Come on. You don't have a bunch of old popular mechanics magazines tucked away or a few good fiction novels tucked away?
    Yeah, I've got some stuff laying around. I really hope shtf doesn't happen, this place is about all I can handle pre-shtf, and there aren't even any zombies. Fix this, unclog that, dig here, clean this, build that, etc. lol
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ak474u View Post
    Yeah, I've got some stuff laying around. I really hope shtf doesn't happen, this place is about all I can handle pre-shtf, and there aren't even any zombies. Fix this, unclog that, dig here, clean this, build that, etc. lol
    LOL, I understand your pain. I've got wrapped blu ray movies I have yet to watch, and a role paying card game I have yet to find time to sit and learn. Sometimes chores outnumber fun time.