Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ground beef Prices

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

I am planning to get a bison one day and split the meat and cost with a friend. Need to buy another freezer first though.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

Where's the epi?

Quote Originally Posted by helomech View Post
    I am planning to get a bison one day and split the meat and cost with a friend. Need to buy another freezer first though.
    Yeah, they take up a lot of space. But yummy.
    I apologize for nothing...

Going to have to try it before I bring home 800 lbs of meat

Where's the epi?

Quote Originally Posted by helomech View Post
    Going to have to try it before I bring home 800 lbs of meat
    Find a butcher that slaughters them and ask for a couple of center cut rib eyes or filet. They can custom cut them for you if you let them know ahead of time, we do them at least 1.5 inches thick on the ribeye. Season them just like you do with beef but cook them no more than med rare or they dry out because they are so lean. You can find recipes online for different cuts. Buy some different ones and see if you like it before jumping in and buying a whole animal.

My eyes popped out of my head the last time I bought ground beef. It wasn't that long ago that I could find it on sale for $1.29lb and it kept rising from there. A decent sale price now is $3.99lb because it is usually closer to $5. We switched to more pork and chicken, but those are rising, too. And we are getting pretty tired of chicken or pork every day.

If you are going to buy a side of beef, I suggest asking if they change their feed at all. I bought 1/4 a cow from a farmer who advertised as all-natural grass fed beef and we really liked the taste. Then we bought 1/2 a cow and the meat smelled and tasted rancid. We couldn't choke it down. I sent some meat back to the rancher/farmer to try and was told that is how grass fed tastes (which I disagree. I have had grass fed before and none of it tasted like that). It turns out that our first order was completely grain fed in a feed lot and the second order was partially grass fed and finished on grain, so it wasn't at all as advertised. And it still should have tasted like grain fed if it was finished on grain. Long story short, ask a lot of questions and understand exactly what you are getting for your money before you buy.

Where's the epi?

They do taste different depending on what they eat. Even different grasses will change the flavor.

Ground beef is about 2.99/lb here. We rarely ever buy it, but I looked yesterday.

Where's the epi?

We rarely ever use ground beef either, a slab of ribeye was $6.99 (cut the steaks yourself) last week. That is pretty normal for us. What was unusual is that Costco was not carrying any chicken breast. They had dark meats only and then some super expensive organic chicken. That was the first time I had seen that.

Hello Im new ..just want to say hello and I like the page! Im a prepper/ truther and Organic grower..I feel at home here...I dont eat much meat...but I love it! Just dont eat much because of my health. ..I have several pages on Facebook. .tystone48 truther/prepper...Kinetic Truth and learning to Eat and Drink for Great Health and Truth in Motion ..and several more that I am amitatrater. Im also a member in paltalk
    I just wanted to say hello!! : )

Welcome.