Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ground beef Prices

I'll most likely shit myself

Ground beef Prices

I'm sure most all of you have been seeing, ground beef and beef in general prices are spiking quite rapidly. Here is a pretty good article discussing it.

http://www.keloland.com/newsdetail.c...ket/?id=159715

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

BP, good article. We have it here around $3.20 a lb.

Meijer has their own 1 lb packages of ground turkey holding steady at $1.79 (on sale 2 for $3.00 occasionally)
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Wally world has it for around $4/lb give or take here. We have started keeping an eye out for sales and trying to start stocking what we can here and there.
    At this point I have started considering fencing in my property and seeing about leasing a couple acres from my next door neighbor and starting to raise our own and maybe a feeder calf or two to sale. If I had a barn up already and a pond dug, I wouldn't hesitate.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

BP, if you remember my pics from a while back. I raised my and Kodiaks' cows with just a 3 sided walk-in. I know you could do it also.

Wait...what am l thinking. Remember the chicken coop.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Yeah down here, just a run in shed would be plenty for the cows. Hay storage would take more to protect.

I wish I had a band mill to saw up some lumber. I have several projects I need various lumber for and prices at Lowes and HD are just too high.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Ya know, BP, i think theres a friendly farm down the road that might help you out with that hay problem.....
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

They have helped with beef before! I'm just thinkin now would be a good time to raise and sell some beef. Maybe at least get mine for low cost.
    My main issue with hay is storage without leaving it in the weather. So many folks do the round bale thing now days, which is a huge labor savings, but then they fail to cover or protect the bales and lose 30-50% due to rot and the rest of the hay's quality is less as well.

Bacpacker, on a small property I think you would be better off raising a few goats for burger. 2 years ago I had 4 wethers slaughtered and ground into burger. That carried my family of 6 almost a year without buying ground meat. It is also better for you then beef. Lower cholesterol and trans fat in goat meat then most any other meat produced here.

They are a heck of a lot easier to work with as well.
    It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

We will be going with goats. Other than fencing them in they are way easier to deal with than cattle.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

Where's the epi?

We like bison because it's lower in cholesterol and healthier. They are also easier to raise than cattle.
    I apologize for nothing...