Thread: Big work on the War Wagon today!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    plenty of extra room "down his pants"

Big work on the War Wagon today!

History: 1982 K5 Blazer 6.2L Detroit Diesel, GM10 bolts regeared to 4:11, rebuilt 700R4 trans.

So the daughter helped me got a butt load of work done on the truck!

A few days ago it got to where it would NOT even start, so I had to park it... Ive also been monitoring a no-charge condition for about 2 weeks. Sometimes, charge... most of the time no-charge.

So, work done today..

Diagnose glow plugs: Found 3 that were dead, by ohming out between lug and ground... three had no short, showing an open circuit... which means, plug is dead.

Also, since the 5 years Ive been driving it, ive not changed the fuel filters... and, after running dry there was the chance of trash getting sucked into the filters.

Work done: Replace all 8 glow plugs, about $90, replace alternator, about $60, replace primary and secondary fuel filters, about $30.

Result: Truck started up BETTER than it EVER has, nice to have 8 strong glow plugs now! I figure with the 3 that were dead, the others were probably weak. The engine idels better than before, Im sure the fuel filters helped a lot! And now have a 100% charge state.

Whew... got a lot done, and with great results. I was simply dreading pulling the glow plugs, I just KNEW they were all gonna be seized and swollen. They all cracked loose no problem and none were swollen, nor cracked and missing any pieces. On replacement, I coated the threads with nickle anti-seize.

That is all,
    EB
    Last edited by ElevenBravo; 02-10-2014 at 12:14 AM.
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"