Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Currently braced for the "Big Snow Storm"

plenty of extra room "down his pants"

Currently braced for the "Big Snow Storm"

The state of VA has already declared a state of emergency. Expected 6-12. We will have to wait and see.

Snow is supposed to start today, Im taking my camcorder to work for the drive home.

Expected to snow until Thr.

Yesterday I topped off 2 20lb tanks of LPG, Ive already got 10 gal of gas which is good for 40 hours of genny. Picked up 2 more butane cans for the GasOne stove, which is the one the wife can work easily because it is so simple compared to the Coleman stove. Plenty of drinking water in case main breaks.

Went to Kroger last night and got a few groceries and dog food.

I already put the snow cables in the back of the War Wagon, I have a set of SCC Z cables for the back, and a pair of standards for the front if needed.

With the lift on the truck and decent size tires, I cant imagine 12 inches of snow being a problem at all.

If this develops into anything notable, Ill post a video.

Donnt wish me luck, I wont need it...but my neighbours might!

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

I'll most likely shit myself

Wxmen are calling for anywhere from 3-8" here. 30 mins away could get 8-12". Snow ending thursday.

Shooting video since 2:15 pm, thats about when it started, got some good footage.

By the time I got home, I was having trouble stopping and steering... even though it was only one inch of snow on the ground, it was VERY SLICK SNOW! Slicker than snot on a brass door knob!

And early early early this morning, I took the daughter to the hospital to be with her friend while she had her baby... I dont think shes going into the birthing room, but shes there for her and wanted to see the baby.... This was planned weeks ago...

SO...

Its 6pm, we got 4+ inches of snow and the baby hasnt been born yet! Yeah, I see now... Ill be out LATE tonight to pick her up from the hospitall.

But, thats okay, because Ive already put snow cables on ALL FOUR TIRES and driven around for a good while... to... er, ah.... test out the fit. :-)

We live on a pretty steep hill, and "the hill has already claimed several cars" which are scattered at the BOTTOM of the hill, with foot prints leading up the hill. I giggle inside.

The ProCom heater is already cycling to knock the chill off the air in the living room, its 20.f out right now.

I also ran the genny for a few minutes, started up fine.

I cant think of anything else right now, the W4CA repeater is full of chatter, nothing major... just talking about snow and accidents. And it sounds pretty bad, the repeater that is.... maybe the final is burnt out the amp or theres a water leak in the hard line, but it dont sound good.

Oh, and the snow is slick as shit... Did I mention that?

Ill have more later tonight, and tomorrow...

I reckon it will mostly be cleared up by Friday, temps are anticipated to be 44.f.

Cheers!
    EB
    "AR - America's Rifle"

Well BIG disappointment here. As of 6:30 we may have 1/2", nothing laying on the road. They are still calling for heavy store later tonight, but I am having serious doubt's.
    Stay safe everyone.

Currently braced for the "Big Snow Storm"

Same here bacpacker. They were calling for 3 to 6 inches of snow. I didn't see a single snow flake fall. Don't get me wrong I am glad it didn't but getting all ready for it then it not happening is a bit anti-climactic.
    It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark.

8:45 pm Wed.. about 6 inches. Had to run daughter some meds and stuff she asked for, took over an hour to and back, no faster than 25 mph with 4 chains on... The worst part was where they DID plow, chains/cables ride & behave much better in a few inches of snow IMHO.

Seen a couple of accidents and LOTS of idiots, shot more video...

The baby has not been born yet, so it may be a few more hours before I go back to pick her up, and the snow is steady falling.

Still have power, were not getting it near as bad as NC if I read the radar right, there getting hammered with ice...

That is all,
    EB
    Last edited by ElevenBravo; 02-13-2014 at 01:19 AM.
    "AR - America's Rifle"

Bacon saver

Glad to hear things are stable up there for ya EB. Get you and your daughter home safe tonight, make sure you apply gorilla glue to your cables before you roll out. Works good on snot......that's a hell of a report there bud. As for us just southwest of Bacbacker. They called for 3to 5 inches, it rained/drizzled all morning then decided to flake around 1500. From there it's been snowing and not sticking so I'll expect it to be pretty much gone by morning. LadyHK been ticked all day "WHERE'S MY SNOW!" Oh, but I'm fine don't worry about me, everything's been checked out and works fine. Radios are up, vehicles run, dogs left their steamers all is good.
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

It finally got started here around 7 or so. Snowing hard and we are starting to get some laying. Maybe 2" so far. just depends now on how long it goes.

Be safe up there EB. From what I saw on the radar earlier Roanoke looks like they may be in for a dumping before it passes thru, all the way up into the northeast. Raleigh got hit by a bunch of ice and some snow. Pics I saw looked like Atlanta last week. I just don't understand the idiots abandoning their cars along the highways and interstates.

9:21 pm Wed, snow tapered a bit... but from looking at the radar, its a f'in fluke. I see bunches more coming... WXman anticipates snow until 6am Thr!

I just got a call from daughter, her friend is not ready for the baby... just yet, so they are going home (wtf?) and going back in the morning (wtf?). Of course, getting accurate information from a 16 year old is like fuzzy logic. I try to omit every other word and paint my own picture. HAHA! I dont know if the water broke, how dilated she is or if it was all just early or false labor... She is dilated, I think, at least thats what Im told... but there is an absence of real data, the kind of data that an adult would have collected. :-)

So, they are going back to her house, and Ill be picking her up from there to come home.

And....

She wants me to take her back to the hospital in the morning!

OMG, were gonna have at least 10 or more inches by then, Im sure of it. (but will still have to wait and see).

Ill be back... still shooting video when I go out.

EB
    "AR - America's Rifle"

Bacon saver

Well you just tell her to get the truck warmed up and fired up when she's ready to go, don't forget to have the coffee ready before she wakes you up! OH and you favorite slippers..............
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.