Thread: Called 911 for the first time last week, building on fire near home

Called 911 for the first time last week, building on fire near home

'Mornin!

Upon driving home from a part-time shift last Thursday evening I spotted a building on fire near my apartment building; a small add-on to a museum. I have to say I'm proud of our local fire department - the first responder was there within 2 minutes of my calling 911. He was the one to confirm the nature of the situation back to the department.

Nothing too big to report on this one; I'm content with how I handled it - pulled over, turned on my flashers and called it in, pointed out the nearest hydrant when the 1st firefighter arrived and promptly got my vehicle out of the way.

I've a few observations:
    - While I was vaguely aware of where the nearest hydrant was, I had to run over to confirm when the firefighter asked me. We see them in our regular day but don't often think to note where they are when needed. I'll work on this!
    - As there was a winter sports festival going on in town that night, few at my apartment building realized the smoke was a real fire. (Another person was walking by and I'm sure would have called it in if I hadn't been there, perhaps only a minute later...but if neither of us were there?)
    - The air circulators in my apartment building (300-400m downwind) were sucking in the smoke into the hallways, and from there into the apartments. Upon getting in I closed the two vents but can't do much about the cracks around the door. (I do have a door sweeper in place to cut down on the typically cold air draft) Now I know if there's another fire in the area I'll first jam my vents, then run downstairs and insist the fans be turned off..! Upon return I suppose I could seal the door with packing tape temporarily.
    - Though there was loads of heavy smoke exiting the structure's vents and a bit though cracks, I still hesitated for a moment, asking myself if there was any way this could be normal, like someone smoking an animal hide or something (Native history museum). This was irrational given the amount of smoke and that I could see some flames inside, and cost only 10 seconds. Is this the normalcy bias even in an emergency, when you can actually see the situation? Denial?

Many items inside suffered smoke damage, though insurance was in place. The alarm wasn't functioning in that add-on structure. Cause of fire was linseed-soaked rags left inside from reflooring work. Type of structure was post & beam log, 1 story. Had it spread to the main structure however..!

The firefighter also works at my company and is calling me a hero for calling it in & preventing further loss. =) I can't really accept that as I just did what anyone should do...somehow the hero label to me means accepting some manner of risk for others.

Thoughts?

I'll most likely shit myself

Great job! Lots of folks would have went by and never said a word.

Bacon saver

Fire hydrant locators came sometimes be found by blue reflectors in the road's surface. The fire hydrants are adjacent to the reflectors. Seems pretty universal throughout the US. I think you're right on track man, no adverse comments from me! Great job Man! Couldn't have timed that one any better, you saved the day!
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.