Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pocket Survival Kits (PSK's)

Crotch Rocket

Pocket Survival Kits (PSK's)

After doing the AAR on my winter exercise, I realized there was a piece of kit I totally forgot about. My PSK. Mostly because I rarely use it for anything short of a real emergency , or as an icebreaker in discussing preps. I'd say I never use its contents, but I depleted a good bit of it helping ease a cross country road trip.

My tin is highly modified with the lid serving double duty as a miniature frying pan, and the fairly common pot on the lower. I used a wire coat hanger for the handles and a retaining pin. Its also packed quite full after I read John D. McCann's book, "Build the Perfect Survival Kit".

My contents, following his format for gear selection:
    Fire and Light
    -Lifeboat Matches, 4 ea.; Maglite Solitaire
    Signaling
    -a small survival mirror rescued from a junk survival knife. I stuck the abrasive striker for the matches to this.
    Navigation
    -Button compass from same junk knife.
    Food & Water Collection
    -Tin, as described above; non-lubed condom; Micropur tablets, 2 ea.; Chicken Bouillon packet
    Shelter & Personal Protection
    -None, due to size limitations.
    Medical
    -Alcohol prep pad; butterfly closures, 2 ea.
    Knives & Tools
    -Scalpel blades, 2 ea. (I grooved the retention pin for my "frying pan" handle to accept the blades); a SwissCard Lite screwdriver tool since I modded the card to hang with and behind my work ID, and chose not to cut a groove into this piece; P-38 can opener
    Multi-Purpose Items
    -Magnetized sewing needle (sewing/ Navigation); 8# test "no memory" fish line, 10 ft. (sewing, fishing, light cordage); Gutted 550 cord, 3 ft.; 100 mph tape, 3 ft.; Tinfoil, 1 sq. ft. (drinking, cooking, signaling, etc.); .22lr cartridges, 5 ea. (ammunition, fire, split shot... you can even groove the jacketed bullets)

Miscellaneous
    -Pencil Stub; Paper; Safety Pin

This kit is currently only 99% done though. I still have to dig my fishing kit out of storage and add: 3 hooks and 6 small split shot. Once I've done that I'll be content with it. I would like to get rid of the "frying pan" portion, but it brings such great discussion on creative thinking and solutions to survive that I can't bring myself to do it. I like to provoke thought at times.
    Last edited by mitunnelrat; 02-26-2011 at 03:55 PM.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

A snare wire might not be a bad item to add....I have that and a couple triple antibiotic cream packs. (my tin is a empty watch tin, about twice as big as the Altoid tin) I will get a photo up soon. Also, I place cotton balls in where there is room to cut down on rattle.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Crotch Rocket

Hmm, I put it together with what I had in front of me at the time, and gave it little thought since, but a PJ cottonball and some snare wire, and antibiotic ointment would be great additions. As is, the tin is almost over packed, but in consideration I could create space for them by removing the pencil stub/ paper, and the bouillon packet. Thanks LUNCHBOX!

I also just realized I deleted the wrong pic to add the one of my improv'ed knife. My bad. I'll edit to reflect the kit unpacked so people can get a better idea of just how much is in there.
    Last edited by mitunnelrat; 02-26-2011 at 03:57 PM.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Crotch Rocket

As an update, I managed to shove a PJ Cottonball and a packet of antibiotic ointment in it without removing anything. I think I might be able to get some snare wire in there too. That'll be cool if so.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Crotch Rocket

Final update. This kit is 100% complete. I was able to add the PJ cottonball and ointment as I stated above, my 3 fishhooks, 6 small split shot, and 5' of black 20 ga. wire without removing any of the original contents. It might burst if I try for anything more though!
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Are there other uses for the condom besides the obvious intended use?

Crotch Rocket

There's a couple that I know of, but I haven't tried either of them. The first is as an emergency canteen. The second is to use the (full) condom to start a fire:
    The Condom Survival Fire | Field & Stream

It apparently takes a long, long time to get a fire going that way, but I'd definitely try it if I was out of other options.
    Last edited by mitunnelrat; 03-05-2011 at 12:52 PM.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

I'll most likely shit myself

kit

Very nice idea's on the altoids kit. I have a bunch of tins I've saved, but haven't gotten around to setting on up. Need to get that done.

He's old and grumpy, but not fat. He'll be right back...he has to go tell some kids to get off his lawn

I make seperate kits , each one specialized - First Aid, Fire starting, Fishing/Trapping, Emergency comm, etc. They take up little space and organize small items very well.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Quote Originally Posted by Stg1swret View Post
    I make seperate kits , each one specialized - First Aid, Fire starting, Fishing/Trapping, Emergency comm, etc. They take up little space and organize small items very well.
    How do you separate the kits? Different pouches? Ziploc bags?

I'm a fan of having smaller kits also.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout