Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fired Up! Emergency Fire Starting Fuel

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Fired Up! Emergency Fire Starting Fuel

From HERE

Fired Up!â„¢ is a safe, simple and versatile new emergency fuel & fire starting product. It has water-repellent properties, a 30+ year shelf-life and two cups can burn approximately 30 minutes. Use it to light campfires, prepare charcoal briquettes or as a safe and reliable fuel source for cooking or heating in emergency situations.

Ideal for lighting a campfire & charcoal. No kindling required
    Two cups burn for approximately 1/2 hour (with periodic stirring)
    Can be used with an outdoor grill
    Can also be a self-standing fire
    One cup will boil two cups of water approx. ten minutes
    No harmful chemicals
    $45 for a 13lbs tub

A comment from the Emergency Essentials blog....

Fired Up is a combination of wood pellets, wax and lighter fluid. While some smoke may be expected, it is considerably less than dry firewood produces.
    Anybody heard of this/used it?
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Premium Member

i have not heard of this product however alot of people in this area use the wood pellets for heating in their fireplaces ,,so with that i reckon the addition of wax for a slower burn and the lighter fluid to fire it off quickly doesnt sound to awful bad

Resident Seafood Procurement Officer

Looks like a decent deal. You know it has to work.

For the Love of Cats

considering that I have gas, oil, diesel, kerosene, and a million other things in the garage that burn... I don't see this as too practical. But then again... if I happen to see it on sale somewhere... a pail may end up on my shelf someday. lol

Do you have a robot?
    I use a pellet stove and it requires a small amount of starter to get it going. I saw this product on Emergency Essentials website on sale last year. So I bought a can to test it out. The first time I used it I used too much and it clogged things up. It took me a couple of times before I got the right amount down. I like it, it burns clean and is easy to use. It does not light like the match light charcoal, you have to hold a match to it to get to burn. I have not tried to use it in a windy situation. One thing that I am going to do this winter is see how well it will start damp or wet wood up at my BOL. If it works then I might consider putting more in my reserves.

Okay so what is it really good for in a survival situation? It is good for car camping, I will be keeping some in my truck with my portable wood stove. I would consider putting some in a large cache. I would remove the label and paint it in undercoating to protect the can from rusting out before I buried it. I do not recommend it for a BOB, lint works better and is much less weight. For most people who are into camping,willing to experiment and not rely on a propane stove you will be able to start a fire with what you can scrounge up.

Is there other things that are better, probably. I do not know about you, but I find that I am always trying to reinvent the wheel and have to do a reality check periodically to keep in perspective.

Do you have change for a canned bacon?

I bought 350 BOXES of trioxane for about $60 several years ago. I think I'm all set for now.
    I still like to use fat lighter every now and then.
    They say that the cockroaches will be the last creature alive on this earth.
    I intend on being the last person alive still stomping cockroaches.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaTea View Post
    I bought 350 BOXES of trioxane for about $60 several years ago. I think I'm all set for now.
    I wouldnt brag about that! fuel tablets contain a large percentage of hexamine and are the preferred feedstock for pyros when making RDX!

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaTea View Post
    where did you find that much triox? I'd like to get my hands on some more.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I've seen it on Mil surplus auction sites.

Do you have change for a canned bacon?

Did not think about the RDX angle. So much for OPSEC.
    Anyway looks like I am down to less than 100 boxes now after taking inventory.
    Gave a butt load away to friends and relatives. I guess I got a little over-zealous with charity.
    I generally use one pack to start a fire so I should still have enough for a few years
    They say that the cockroaches will be the last creature alive on this earth.
    I intend on being the last person alive still stomping cockroaches.