Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Price of meats

Price of meats

How is everyone coping with the huge increase in meat prices? Beef and pork prices are outrageous and steadily climbing. There isn't any relief in sight either.

We sold a 420 pound heifer calf and a 150 pound heifer bottle calf and they brought $845 and $400 respectively. Anyone who has been around the cattle market will tell you live market price is crazy high right now and has stabilized at these prices. It's not just a temporary spike. Stand by for $10/lb beef and $15/lb pork prices.

We are lucky enough to raise most of our own meat. How do y'all offset the cost? Have you stopped buying beef and pork? Replaced it with goats or chicken?
    It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

We have been been raising our own meats, and eating the wild game we kill for at least 4 year snow. I spend less than 30 bucks a month on meat.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

I'll most likely shit myself

We have been fortunate that we had a good amount of meat in the freezer. The wife had also been buying up various meat when she found it on sale. But have been eating more chicken.
    One thing I am looking into is this, one of my neighbors had been keeping horses in a 17 acre field, has moved them. I am trying to work out a barter with him to get the use of the field to raise some calves on next spring. I found out too late to get started this year.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

Very nice BP.....l also had a good supply of meat from the cows me and Kodiak raised. That is coming to an end now so l started putting more fish in the freezer this year.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Were on a tight budget, and dont have any beef set back. I do most of the shopping, so I simply buy less beef than usual, I also buy large cuts of beef (broil, etc..) when I find them on manager's clearance due to date.

Groceries in general are getting sky high. Even dog food is getting high as gas, wth!

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Quote Originally Posted by ElevenBravo View Post
    Groceries in general are getting sky high. Even dog food is getting high as gas, wth!

EB
    No joke, I have 3 dogs and the smallest one weighs 130lbs. They get lots of chicken eggs. Every day we give them about 18 chicken eggs plus some dog food.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

EB
    This is why I switched to raw feeding. It's better for the dog, and cheaper on my wallet. I can feed raw for about $0.39 per pound vs $2/lb for "good" dry food.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Quote Originally Posted by izzyscout21 View Post
    I can feed raw for about $0.39 per pound vs $2/lb for "good" dry food.
    Your going to have to expand on this a bit... Im counting on you to fill in the information void.

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

For the Love of Cats

^
    ditto
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Your going to have to expand on this a bit... Im counting on you to fill in the information void.

EB

I'll start a thread in the animal forum, as opposed to hijacking this one.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.