Thread: Doggy Preps

Administrator

Doggy Preps

We have lists for everyone in the household and yet we often neglect the four legged family members or just flat out don't know what to prep. Great instructable going over dog preps. Covers the basics and there is room to add. I would throw in a tick remover tool to the kit for starters. Besides being a bug out bag for Fido, I think this would make a good hiking kit too.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Dog-...-Kit/?ALLSTEPS
    I don’t have “hobbies” I’m developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set.

I'll most likely shit myself

2D4, thats a great kit for pups. Several good pointers and the med supplies could be used for people as well. Spare collars and leashes are very important.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

I'd just get a good Chinese cookbook, and be done with it.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ak474u View Post
    I'd just get a good Chinese cookbook, and be done with it.
    LOL!

Another note missing from the site is to get your mutt use to packing the gear. Gradually introduce more weight the pack until they can haul the whole kit with no problems.
    I don’t have “hobbies” I’m developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Doggy Preps

The pack he has on that dog is WAAAAY to big and off balance for that pup in the pic.

Overall, this does a good job of laying out the basics.

Something I've learned to keep in my gear is a good muzzle. If injured, a lot of dogs will lash out, even at their handlers. Its a good idea to have one if you need to provide aid to your partner.

Don't be afraid to use a pinch collar.....

Keep the claws as short as they can safely be cut. This will minimize the chances of the dog breaking a nail or ripping off a dew claw.

Learn how to give pup an IV.

In all seriousness, look into some doggles..... For the same reasons you or I wear Oakleys or safety glasses. Trying to wash crap out of your dog's eye sucks balls.

Instead of kibble, I keep freeze-dried dog food in my BOB and my SAR turnout gear. Its lightweight and stretches much farther.

A good place to look for quality K9 gear is Ray Allen Co. They market the best gear for K9s by far. None of that Walmart/Petco/Petsmart garbage.

Teach your dog to deal with stress. We automatically think gunfire, but theres soooo much more. Introduce as much new terrain and obstacles as possible. Lumber, rubble, water, etc. i say this for a myriad of reasons.
    A) it makes them problem solve
    B) it acclimates them to walking on different surfaces and odd angles (trust me, this is important). Many dogs will shut down if a surface is different than what they ate accustomed. Metal mesh trailer flooring, for example.
    C) learning how to navigate obstructions teaches them to avoid injury prone hazards..... Nails in rubble for example.

Also, one of the biggest preps you can have for your dog is great obedience. That'll get you through most stress situations with Fido. This will help determine whether or not Barkley will be an asset or a liability. Basic commands (i.e.: sit, stay, heel, down, leave it) go a long way. The ability to deal with distractions.... Is he going to chase the shiny red ball or squirrel and give you away? Or will he stay where he's told until you say? What does he bark at? Is it appropriate at that time, or will he give you away? Does he have enough impulse control to bite only when appropriate? Will they always obey off leash, or do you have to keep them on lead?

I could keep going, but I think ill shut up now.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Doggy Preps? salt, Garlic, lemon pepper, should be all you need.
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    DAMN YOU SF! Your thinking kitty recipes again...

DOGS ARE MAN'S BEST FRIEND!

"I sleep heavy at night, because my dog sleeps light".. This is a saying I came up with so it's copyrighted. :-)

"I got a shotgun, a flashlight and a shovel.. be mindful of that young man" is a saying I give to my daughter's callers. :-)

I got a few more...

"If you want to hide, go where the lazy man will not trek"

"Your actions will only be as good as your training"

"Take the skirt off and suck it up"

"My mama used to say, you lazy piece of shit, why dont you do something!"... Wait, that was for my group therapy, never mind that one...

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Doggy Preps

I thought I'd come back as an afterthought....

I dont make my pooch carry her own gear. i carry her stuff.

HOWEVER...... She does carry some of mine. Reason being is this: she never strays more than a stones throw away from me.
    On her vest, she carries a Gerber tool, first aid kit, very small basic survival kit (altoid size), fire kit, spare rifle and pistol mag, and a mylar emergency blanket.

If I am ever injured, or need to drop my gear (or lose it), i have basic survival with us. It's my way of not putting all my eggs in one basket.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.