Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the furthest you've ever walked?

Claptrap's Problem Solver

What is the furthest you've ever walked?

At one time?
    Most demanding conditions?
    What sort of geography and terrain?
    What sort of gear did you have on?
    What were the weather conditions?

There's a good chance during a SHTF event you'll have to walk some distance. Can you do it and under what conditions?
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

I did an 18 mile forced march while I was in Germany. Took me 4 hours and 17 minutes to complete. I had a 63 pound ruck plus my LBE and weapon. It was over hilly terrain I I was dressed in full BDU''s and boots. Weather conditions sucked. About 35 degrees outside and rainy.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I'll most likely shit myself

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    At one time? 19-20 mile in one day.

Most demanding conditions? Started off snowing, changed to heavy rain just after lunch. Lost almost 5000' elevation.

What sort of geography and terrain? Hike started at about 6400' around 7:30am on the approach to Clingmans Dome, which is the 2nd highest peak east of the Mississippi river at 6693'. Stopped for lunch around noon, still snowing. We were moving again by 12:30 and by 1:00 we had dropped out of the snow and was in rain between 1/2 to 1" an hour the rest of the trip. We got to where we were suppose to camp around 3:30, which was near a river in a bottom. The whole area was under water. Probably a foot deep in places. The scout masters decided we would hike on out instead of spending the night. Very good call. At this point we still had over 5 miles to go to get to the van, which was about 1600' elevation.

What sort of gear did you have on? Leather work boots not treated or waterproofed. Blue jeans, cotton long johns, sweatshirt, wool toboggan, gloves, and a poncho.

What were the weather conditions? Starting temps around 20-25, at the end between 35-40, not much wind thankfully

There's a good chance during a SHTF event you'll have to walk some distance. Can you do it and under what conditions?
    I agree, depending on what the SHTF is. Yeah we can do it, maybe not as fast as I used to but can still get it done. Conditions other than this damn heat we can handle. Heat will slow us down a lot more.

The trip I described above was in Feb 1974, I was 13 and with a group of about 12-15 Boy Scouts ranging in age from 17 down to 11, plus 2 scout masters. This was the longest trip any of us had been on. By the time we got to about 2 miles from where we were suppose to camp the 4 guys who were 11-12 were spent. We ended up unloading them and dividing up their gear. By the time we got to the van, we were all trashed. I honestly don't remember the ride back home.
    Lesson's learned on this trip that I practice to this day. Don't wear cotton if you are going to be anywhere with any chance of rain or snow. It can kill you. I have tried to maintain good rain gear( Gore Tex is my preference ) and I like a coat and pants over poncho's, they are much easier to vent, which is needed because sweating will get you every bit as wet as getting rained on. We also didn't have any of our gear waterproofed at all. I now keep most everything in waterproof stuff sacks and use a pack cover. Lastly pay attention to the weather going on around you and if conditions allow what looks to be coming your way. You can't always count on getting to the site you plan on, so allow flexability as you travel. What a trip, something I'll never forget.
    Last edited by bacpacker; 07-19-2011 at 11:41 PM.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Just under 200 miles in 19 days. 2 Days at the same location, so I guess really 18. Mountainous terrain, improved trails, 45 or so lbs. pack.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    I agree, depending on what the SHTF is. Yeah we can do it, maybe not as fast as I used to but can still get it done. Conditions other than this damn heat we can handle. Heat will slow us down a lot more.

The trip I described above was in Feb 1974, I was 13 and with a group of about 12-15 Boy Scouts ranging in age from 17 down to 11, plus 2 scout masters. This was the longest trip any of us had been on. By the time we got to about 2 miles from where we were suppose to camp the 4 guys who were 11-12 were spent. We ended up unloading them and dividing up their gear. By the time we got to the van, we were all trashed. I honestly don't remember the ride back home.
    Lesson's learned on this trip that I practice to this day. Don't wear cotton if you are going to be anywhere with any chance of rain or snow. It can kill you. I have tried to maintain good rain gear( Gore Tex is my preference ) and I like a coat and pants over poncho's, they are much easier to vent, which is needed because sweating will get you every bit as wet as getting rained on. We also didn't have any of our gear waterproofed at all. I now keep most everything in waterproof stuff sacks and use a pack cover. Lastly pay attention to the weather going on around you and if conditions allow what looks to be coming your way. You can't always count on getting to the site you plan on, so allow flexability as you travel. What a trip, something I'll never forget.
    Threw me off there for a sec, BP. I wasn't expecting my screen to light up red. Thought I was losing it. LOL
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I'll most likely shit myself

Sorry about that I thought it's be easier to follow. It don't look worth a crap that way. My BAD

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

I did around 25 miles through the night 100 years ago while in the Infantry. I was stationed in Hawaii at the time, terrain sucked, weather was ok, full gear and pack with weapon. Took all night with the start and stops. I do know that you will get used to the gear you carry with enough time, its just the beginning of that time that will be the worst (of course, you will have the E.O.T.W. to keep your mind off the pain)
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Crotch Rocket

My longest is 25 miles. I did that while I was in Missouri and almost half the age I am today. It was overnight, and I don't remember the weather contributing to any issues. No packs, no weapons, and while we had some hills I don't remember anything too extreme there either.

Toward fall of 2007 I walked 15 miles along a roadway while wearing business casual. It took me all of 5 hours and was 1 am by time I finished. I bought water at two separate locations, and that was the extent of my gear.

Of course, I've done some recent trips under a load within the past year, if you've dug around you've seen me bitching about that! Its a whole different animal when its cross country with a pack and weapon.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Wants to know if that is a nut tool for a fire hydrant nozzle

25 miles while in the service, stepped off at zero-ass early in the morning in Hawaii, the first time was hardball blacktop, 2nd was hilly/rocky terrain. Wait, this sounds familiar...

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

I'm starting to think Hawaii isn't the vacation everyone thinks....lol.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.