Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kale - growing question

Kale - growing question

We grew a few kale plants this spring and early summer. Coming directly from the garden to table it was delicious. As the weather heated up the plants bolted and grew bitter. I had not removed them and am now seeing new growth. I am wondering if this growth will be like the first crop. How long will kale produce. Our weather here in So. Calif. is currently HOT, but will begin to cool soon.

I'll most likely shit myself

No help for you. I'm trying it for the first time here this fall.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

I've got kale up and going in 100* temps. It's been growing since just after last frost, and then survived a surprise late overnight frost. Grasshoppers did a number on them, so I cut off the eaten leaves down to the stems, and new growth is appearing. They look TERRIBLE right now, but still producing 2 feet tall. I've ended up throwing out kale before we can use it I've had so much. The best producer for us has been red russian kale.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

I'm just guessing but I think it will grow back and be fine. I grew kale last winter and cut it back to the roots when it bolted this summer. It grew back very poorly but it was hot out. I'm going to prune it soon and see how it does this winter. I think it may do well this winter because of this established roots.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    I had Kale growing and the grasshoppers and beetles got to it all. I was gone for 3 months this summer, so it didnt get tended as well as I was hoping by the kids. Im going to try and cutting it down and let it grow back out, but im not sure how much growth im going to get before the fall weather hits.
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Quote Originally Posted by belew View Post
    I'm just guessing but I think it will grow back and be fine. I grew kale last winter and cut it back to the roots when it bolted this summer. It grew back very poorly but it was hot out. I'm going to prune it soon and see how it does this winter. I think it may do well this winter because of this established roots.
    Damn grasshoppers mangled the new growth I had coming up, I'm gonna probably cut mine back and hit them with sevin again, this time at the ground. I'm also gonna probably mulch the bed in September after the new cabbage, and broccoli come up. This particular bed is raised, but only 6" so being raised, I worry about the cold getting the plants.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

Thanks for the replies! I am not concerned about cold in this part of Calif. I have noticed the new growth looks pretty healthy. Hoping the various insects don't get to it before we do! I will keep y'all informed.

As promised, here is my update. All 6 plants continue to grow and thrive. I had quite a problem with some cabbage worms (or something similar) but using a bacteria based insecticide got those little guys dispatched. The young kale is good and tender. I have been giving it to my son's family and a neighbor. I am beginning to think those kale plants are very hardy indeed.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    I cant offer help on the growing part... but I wanted to mention that I love kale pressure cooked with a generous amount of bacon grease. Oh Yum!
    EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

I'll most likely shit myself

Mine has been growing in a cold frame since planting. I did a tray of seed in October and in November transplanted some to 6" pots and the rest to a big tub we use in the summer for herbs, others directly to the garden. The garden and tub plantings have all been burnt back by the cold. The plants in the cold frame (along with cabbage & arugala) are all growing slowly and I expect to really be kicking ass in a month or so. Big headstart on spring plantings.