Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Honey Bees

Do you have a robot?
    If it isn't helping him it sure does help me. I have been wanting to start for over a year. Now this is just more of a reason. Awesome post. Thanks

For the Love of Cats

wait... what? you have to feed them? what about flowers? what about pollinating? Do you mean they are useless dependants? Like teenagers?
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Do you have a robot?
    It's more like welfare.....just like having kids

For the Love of Cats

damn! with enough nagging will they at least cut the grass?

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

For the Love of Cats

So how much work actually goes into keeping them... once you have them? daily maintenence? Weekly, Monthly, etc?

RIP, brother. We are diminshed.
    Quote Originally Posted by realist View Post
    If it isn't helping him it sure does help me. I have been wanting to start for over a year. Now this is just more of a reason. Awesome post. Thanks
    good deal. i should have made it more of a blanket statement for everyone, he just came too mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    wait... what? you have to feed them? what about flowers? what about pollinating? Do you mean they are useless dependants? Like teenagers?
    DUH? you 'don't' really need too. according to Micheal Bush http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfeeding.htm but, i am of the mind of Apis Hive Co. http://www.apishive.com/honey-bee-he...our-honey-bees not really like teenagers. LOL no clothes, no car, no insurance, no xbox ,they aren't bugging you for money and you don't have too worry about 'the girls'. but they do need a little help to stay happy and healthy. you get way more from them than you put in. well, i do. i sit with them and 'be'.

Quote Originally Posted by realist View Post
    It's more like welfare.....just like having kids
    see above.

damn! with enough nagging will they at least cut the grass?
    nope! but they will help in keeping the yard/garden healthy and keep unwanted guests down to a minimum. look at it this way, you eat Bear? they just might add to your bear meat in the freezer. win-win! you don't have to go trudging off into the woods looking for a bear, it might come to you?
    "Ya need a hug, or a twinkee? Wait..forget the twinkie". - Dropy

"I'll be in my bunk" Jayne Cobb

'Catch, sauté, and release...' Sniper-T

'Always smile... it makes people wonder what the fuck you are thinking!' Sniper-T

Body Armor is not bullet proof, it is only bullet resistant.* Learn to become strictly a head hunter.*

'All I really needed was a hug'............ Domeguy

So how much work actually goes into keeping them... once you have them? daily maintenence? Weekly, Monthly, etc?
    the initial set up is a little time consuming. after that not a lot really.

daily... just looking and enjoying them. i try too spend some time with them daily, my approach is different than most.

weekly... feeding them once. a qt of sugar water. if they eat that much, might be a week and a half, depending on the colony size. (bees = colony and the hive is the box) the bigger the colony, the better off you will be.

monthly... just check on them and see what is going on.

harvest time... depending how many hives you have and the method you use to retrieve the honey. i don't spin extract, i do the crush and strain. it takes about 2 days to do 1-7 frames. i use 8 frame boxes and always leave at least 1 frame of honey for them.

crush/strain.... i scrape off the comb into a large food safe plastic tote. then strain into a bucket and the filter with 4 layers of cheesecloth into another bucket. the longest part is straining the 1st time. i let it sit overnight in the garage, it's warmer than inside the house and depending the size of the strainer and how many frames i do, i might have to do this a 2nd time. straining into the last bucket with cheesecloth is easy. just pour it full and wait for it to drain. bottling again, depends on how much you do.

IMO, it's worth every penny and time to do it. healthier garden, way better quality of honey and a new hobby ie. relaxing way to spend time. i don't drink/drugs, i need ways to fill my free time.

'Always smile... it makes people wonder what the fuck you are thinking!' Sniper-T

Body Armor is not bullet proof, it is only bullet resistant.* Learn to become strictly a head hunter.*

For the Love of Cats

what is this 'free time' you speak of???

I already have a bitch of a time keeping the bears from destroying my bird feeders... I would have to make bee hives out of 1/4 steel plate!

what is this 'free time' you speak of???

I already have a bitch of a time keeping the bears from destroying my bird feeders... I would have to make bee hives out of 1/4 steel plate!

free time..... is when your medically retired and have nothing else to do.

1/4" steel plate. wow! that's gonna bee expensive.

For the Love of Cats

Quote Originally Posted by robsdak View Post
    free time..... is when your medically retired and have nothing else to do.
    I remember when I was off on LTD, I was bored senseless!

Quote Originally Posted by robsdak View Post
    1/4" steel plate. wow! that's gonna bee expensive.
    Not when you are a steel worker by trade. I have enough 'odds and ends' kicking around to make a 1/2 dozen hives.