Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tires

I'll most likely shit myself

tires

Wife had a flat today and while reparing it got me thinking. I picked up a tire plug kit (reamer, plug inserter, a dozen or more plugs). Also got a patch kit, extra cement,. I bagged them up and put them in the tool box.

How many of you do tire repairs? Have repair kits, supplies on hand? Anything I'm forgetting?

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Ive done the DIY plug several times, seams to last as long/work as well as when I get one plugged by the service station.

Keep a fresh one, maybe change it out at the end of summer so the affects of heat dont diminish it's performance, seams to be a good idea to me...

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

For the Love of Cats

A couple things. Firstly, these plugs are designed as a temporary fix, and not meant for long term. I patched a tire last spring and it lasted until just before my last Salmon trip, and it needed replacing jut before, about ~4000km. with a new one in, I made it less than 1000 km of solid driving, straight through in August. and had to replace it. The replacement crapped out twice before I made it back home, then I had to go with a double plug, because the hole starts getting big. That lasted a couple weeks, and then the next less, and then less. and then it was beyond repair.

A couple things of note. Most garages will NOT repair properly (vulcanize) a tire once it has been externally plugged... in fact they wont touch it. so a plug in effect ends the life of the tire. And this was true in NDak, SDak, Minn, and Wisc.

That said... a plug and a 12V compressor can be a life saver, and exist in both mine and my wife's car, and she is well trained in using both. Being that we both drive on gravel ALOT! and both put many miles on... I consider it an indispensable tool in the glovebox of any vehicle.

IMO
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

finally pooped
    So how does a tire get repaired professionally? I didn't even know they did that. We grew up with the plug kits and I never really thought about it. After the plug went bad, if putting another in didn't work we went and got a 50% used tire from the shop nearby. Dirt cheap and just kept doing it.

For the Love of Cats

properly? they take it off the rim, put a plug through from the inside, and then burn that it, and then put a patch over top of that and burn that on over top. the air pressure from the inside protects the patch, where as a plug from the outside is subject to highways and pressure.

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

For the Love of Cats

edit to add:

If you have a tire off the rim, or if you lost the bead and cannot get it to set with a Spanish windlass, or don't have the means, here is a way to do it in an emergency... Can be dangerous, but it does work. IMO tis guy uses too much ether, but the result is the same.

RIP, brother. We are diminshed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post

That said... a plug and a 12V compressor can be a life saver, and exist in both mine and my wife's car, and she is well trained in using both. Being that we both drive on gravel ALOT! and both put many miles on... I consider it an indispensable tool in the glovebox of any vehicle.

IMO
    i have a good friend that will fix them for me after plugging. breaks it down and uses a 'rougher' inside and repairs it properly.
    "Ya need a hug, or a twinkee? Wait..forget the twinkie". - Dropy

"I'll be in my bunk" Jayne Cobb

'Catch, sauté, and release...' Sniper-T

'Always smile... it makes people wonder what the fuck you are thinking!' Sniper-T

Body Armor is not bullet proof, it is only bullet resistant.* Learn to become strictly a head hunter.*

'All I really needed was a hug'............ Domeguy

For the Love of Cats

^
    that is exactly how it is done 'properly'. called vulcanizing.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    edit to add:

If you have a tire off the rim, or if you lost the bead and cannot get it to set with a Spanish windlass, or don't have the means, here is a way to do it in an emergency... Can be dangerous, but it does work. IMO tis guy uses too much ether, but the result is the same.

This^^^ is cool........
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

For the Love of Cats

and it works on anything from a wheel barrow to a tractor tire! Adjust your spray appropriately! Did you hear the hissing after it inflated? too much ether. over pressurized, can actually blow forcibly off the rim. start with less, if not enough... add more and try again. He used enough for a semi tire, or bigger