Willie, Maybe this will help you. It how Mom & Pop taught me and the siblings and how I taught my boys to cook from scratch.
I'm lucky in the fact I got my mom's old cookbook (late 40's early 50's) she taught me to start with a simple recipe from the book. The cookbook didn't have a lot of open a can of whatever and mix together recipes. It dealt with basic ingredients and how to put together dishes. So if some of your older family members has an old cook book you can borrow, pick a recipe. Gather the ingredients and your utensils, measure cups, spoons, etc. Make the recipe EXACTLY as you see in the book, that is your base recipe. Eat it but think how it tastes. Do you like a little more spice, little less, do you need to increase the basic recipe to feed more than what it says it feeds? Make it another time but adjust the spices, herbs, etc to your taste and # of people, Pop used to pencil in the margins his adjustments for increasing the recipe to fit our family of 7 IE: teaspoon and half more of this, 1/2 cup more of this. Once you get a feel for how you like something, you'll be able to take basic ingredients and "create" meals. It may sound simple but it is a matter of trial and error. Yes I've had a lot of fails over the years so did the boys (thank heaven for PB&J,Grilled Cheese, LOL) but if you keep on it, you'll surprise yourself. If you can, just play in the kitchen with spices, herbs. Get to know which ones go together, which need to stand alone in a dish. Most of the time you'll be able to remember what you did for a favorite dish and will be able to put it together with ease, if you keep practicing. Yes I have had to toss somethings , even the dog turned his nose up at them they were that bad