Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Survival Grenade

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    Come on guys. Give me some input as to what you would want in it. After rereading the posting on their sales site several times, I see why theirs is so pricey.
    The Z.A.P.S. Gear Survival Grenade includes the following:
    1 – steel shackle,
    1 – Spring link (max. load bearing weight 350 Lbs) to attach Survival Grenade to your gear/clothes or to use in rappel,
    1 – Compass,
    1 – Wire saw,
    3 – Ready-made wire snares with anti-escape swivels for catching small game,
    1 – Ferro cerium fire-starter with striker,
    3 – Pieces of tinder,
    2 - Candles (approximate burn time of 15 minutes each),
    30’ Braided stealth fishing line (50 Lb; strong enough for big fish, trip wires, or extra snares),
    3 – Fish hooks,
    6 – Sinkers,
    3 – Barrel swivels,
    1 – Knife blade,
    1 – Sheet of aluminum foil,
    2 - Safety Pins
    1 – 1 Gallon Ziploc bag for carrying water,
    3 – Windproof/waterproof matches (15 second burn time) and match striker,
    1 – Large needle for small repairs and wound suturing,
    20’ Black thread,
    6 – Water purification tablets with usage instructions,
    1 – Whistle,
    45’ 550 Paracord,
    Several feet of duct tape, and
    1 – Z.A.P.S. Gear Survival Grenade User’s Guide (laminated for waterproofing).
    Is the shackle necessary? They use it as a frame to hold everything inside? The carabiner is 350 lb rated, necessary? Tell me if this exactaly what you are looking for, or would you rather have different items? And are the items to be top quality, or the cheap crap sold direct from China? I know $75 is way to high. I said in my earlier post I would try to make one, but I was not talking about mass production for profit. I like doing things like this for fun, as I have a lot of free time on my hands. I wouldn't mind selling them at near cost, but I need to know what you want.
    Also, if anyone else wants to make them, I say go for it. We could make it a fun challenge to see how bad mine would compare to someone else's best efforts.

finally pooped
    I would rather scrap the screw pin shackle and get an actual climbers carabiner. As I do climb myself I would never trust one of those spring loaded crap ones even in SHTF.

I would scrap the wire saw and get one of the chainsaw blade ones.

Scrap the tinder and give me some alcohol prep pads as it lists the needles could be used for stitches I want them sterile.

Instead of candles I would want glow sticks. less light but wind wont blow them out.

I would rather have an extra ziploc or emergency blanket than the matches. Or just 2 emergency blankets instead of the ziplocs.

Most everything is probably pretty cheap based one their price point seeing as how the snares I make from scratch for rabbits are 4-5 dollars a piece. Wire saws have never worked for me. Everything else seems pretty cheap to get.

For the Love of Cats

Ah, there's the price variance... With all that stuff in them, I was wondering how you could make them for $25.00. I just thought it was our local stores gouging us yet again!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

RIP, brother. We are diminshed.
    DG not really a challenge too you. i have a Hardware Store in the next town over (25 mi) that i can get most/all of the things listed. i am not really into it for profit either. just offering too help out some family. i don't know about $25? maybe closer to $40-45 depending on contents.
    "Ya need a hug, or a twinkee? Wait..forget the twinkie". - Dropy

"I'll be in my bunk" Jayne Cobb

'Catch, sauté, and release...' Sniper-T

'Always smile... it makes people wonder what the fuck you are thinking!' Sniper-T

Body Armor is not bullet proof, it is only bullet resistant.* Learn to become strictly a head hunter.*

'All I really needed was a hug'............ Domeguy

While I was waiting for the ice to melt, I bought a bunch of stuff of ebay, such as ferro rods, whistles, cord and such. When it all comes together I try and see how much "stuff" I can put into one of these things, and see what the outcome is. I was joking about a challenge, but it would be interesting to see what several different people, working on the same thing can come up with. I'm curious as to what the similarities and differences will be. I was going to made 10 to start with, and see what the cost would be after it all come in, and I buy some of the rest of it local. I'm just now trying to fit in a magazine of 50 cal. into the mix, but so far the Bowie knife is a go!

For the Love of Cats

Even at a more realistic price like that, I'd still be in for at least a couple/few. I kinda figured a fully 'armed grenade' for $25 was a pipe dream. lol

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

finally pooped
    I did my amazon cart and getting the following in 8 kits plus a lot of extra,

1 ferro rod
    1 carabiner-non climbing use
    1 emergency whistle
    19-gallons worth of water purification (enough to last one person for at least a week)
    2-emergency blankets
    4-rabbit size snares
    1-keychain flashlight
    1-clip on compass
    1-pocket chainsaw
    1-knife blade
    50’ Braided stealth fishing line 50 Lb for clothing repair and fishing.
    3 – Fish hooks,
    6 – Sinkers,
    3 – Barrel swivels,
    1 – Sheet of aluminum foil,
    2 - Safety Pins
    1 – 1 Gallon Ziploc bag for carrying water,
    1 – Large needle for small repairs and wound suturing,
    20’ monofilament green for wound closure or fishing,
    pocket magnifying glass
    45’ 550 Paracord,
    Several feet of duct tape

This is close to my ideal kit without cutting corners on cheap shit. total for checkout is $200, that breaks down to about 25 dollars per kit. Not counting the stuff I already have on hand that I can use to fill them out. I can see charging $75 a kit if going my route but there is way too much cheap stuff in their list to justify $75. That would be at least $50 in labor per kit.

For the Love of Cats

So what would your price be James?

finally pooped
    To be honest I have no idea. lol

I have never made one before but I think the hardest part would be the first one and trying to find out how to package it all together in a reasonable size and then make sure it is arranged so that you can get at everything easily.

I would have to make one and then see exactly how much time it takes to reproduce it. Hard part is convincing the wife to let me start on them. I can forward the shopping cart list to anyone with a more accommodating wife though! lol

I like where you are going with this, and in a perfect world, all of that would be great to have in one convenient package. But this is what I was speaking about earlier, as I don't know if all of that would fit in a small enough package to be practical. But I hope I am wrong, and you do find a way. I've still got offers pending on ebay that I may not hear back from for 2 more days, and I am going to Lowes on Monday to pick up a few more things, and I hope to add a few things others might not thought of, but may turn out to not be practical. I'm trying to find a way to stuff Mr. BWRR, Izzy, and SniperT into my bag.