Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Powered Milk for Medium and Long Term Storage?

For the Love of Cats

I agree... Our standards will decrease if shtf... but I believe we would still be better off having the best stockpiles....
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Walking on Sunshine

One of the ways to make the powdered milk taste better is to put a bit of vanilla flavoring in it. emergency prep has cans of powdered real vanilla for long term storage. I haven't tried using any yet. Mom used to put vanilla and some sugar in the powdered milk we used to get when I was growing up. It made it tolerable to drink plain. Of course eating the Frosted Flakes with it was AWESOME to little kids that is.

For the Love of Cats

great points Taz! not a big 'vanilla' fan, but some cocoa, or quick... would be good too!

What flavoured milk would go best with fruit loops?

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie51 View Post
    We did order some real whole milk by Gossner Foods. It is natural and produced without hormones. It is in small little 8 fl oz boxes and is shelf stable and usually dated for 2 years. Not bad, but kinda tastes a little like canned carnation milk.

We're looking for the best tasting to store, although in a SHTF situation, I believe it all will be good and gold.

look at the expiration date .... good for a max of 9 months ..... OK for the 3rd World that lacks refrigeration .... but not intended for long term storage ....

Dollar Tree chain of stores has it regular for a $1/container .....

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    I agree that all powered milk tastes like.....well, powered milk. Adding things to it like vanilla, sugar, honey Jack Daniels, etc. helps, but I also found the colder the mixed milk is, the better it seems to taste. I mix mine the day before I might need it, and refrigerate over night. I know this doesn't work in a SHTF situation. Also, of the several products I have tried, I like Augason Farms 'Morning Moo's' the best. I especially like their chocolate milk version. I have mixed it up, but in fridge overnight, and I can't tell it's not real chocolate milk from a carton.

Premium Member
    Thanks Domeguy! I agree, we always mix the day before and then refrigerate....the colder the better! In a shtf situation, we can use mother nature in the winter time to keep it cold. The Augason Farms brand is noted and we will order some. I have some long term items from them already that we picked up while out in Idaho and Wyoming on vacation. The Walmarts out there has an isle of long term food stuff. Wish they would carry it here.

@Warrior, I agree about the canned boxed milk by Gossner Foods. The place I ordered it from said up to 2 years, but I sent half back when I saw the date stamp, however, we have kept it that long in a dark storage closet and when opened it tasted the same as a new one. We ordered it for our medium term food storage program, not long term. I just brought it up to let everyone know who hasn't tried it. Also, thanks for the heads up on the Dollar Tree stores....good to know.
    Don't wrestle with pigs; you'll get all muddy and the pigs will love it!

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    I agree on the colder the better. Hell, that goes for moo cow milk too!! YUM!
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

For the Love of Cats

ditto on colder! you need a braun to mix it, but in a pinch, blending in icewater makes it ok immediately. I 'use' it when we run out of regular, and don't have the option of leaving overnight... or mixing ahead

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    ditto on colder! you need a braun to mix it, but in a pinch, blending in icewater makes it ok immediately. I 'use' it when we run out of regular, and don't have the option of leaving overnight... or mixing ahead
    That is what I meant by mixing it up ahead of time. If we run out, the closest place to get any milk is over 20 minutes away, and the normal grocery store is 45 minutes away. So if I use most or all of the milk, I will sometimes mix up a quart at night, and not tell anyone. It's only been a few times, but no one has caught on yet. Well, you got me, my big secret is out now. By the way, what do you
    mean by needing a Braun to mix it?

For the Love of Cats

For me, it's one of those getting home and not having my moo. call the wife and she's already to far past. At that point I could be an hour or more away from fresh moo. tough to justify the trip for a $5. jug. And the moo is needed for dinner now!

This is the braun... yeah, powered, but will mix anything!