Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Powered Milk for Medium and Long Term Storage?

Premium Member
    We finished a little test today on powered milk that we started 4 years ago this month. We bought a huge box of powdered milk from Sam's Club (their generic brand) to do a test for semi-long storage. Once we got home, I pre-measured the powder to make 1 & 2 quarts of milk when needed and put in vacuum seal bags. I vacuumed sealed them and then labeled with mixing instructions (amts of cups of water) and dated them 3/2011. Then I put all the sealed bags in a round 6 gallon bucket with a gamma seal lid for easy access. Then this bucket went into a dark storage closet.

So today, we pulled out a 2 qt bag and cut it open and it smelled just like the powdered milk from a new box that we have opened. We mixed in 7 1/2 cups of water and then put in the frig to get cold. Taste tested a few minutes ago and .........it tasted good just like fresh powdered milk just bought. Of course it's still powdered milk, but was good. And in an emergency, it will be real good! The wife added a teaspoon or two of vanilla like Katrina pointed out. Much better.

I will be ordering some soon from EE in cans (small can first) that has a 25+ year shelf life. I will keep everyone updated on how it taste, especially compared to the grocery store brand. But at least we know that the local stuff from the stores can be made to last. Also, special to note, we actually had another box (from Sam's) in the pantry that was about a year old (in the original box) and it had a stale smell and funny taste when mixed. It was drinkable, but I threw it out.
    Don't wrestle with pigs; you'll get all muddy and the pigs will love it!

For the Love of Cats

wow!!! great review Willie!! Another reason why this site is so great... Member participation!!!

You guys into chocolate? how about a little quick in there?

fresh berries?
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Premium Member
    Sounds good, we'll try that too!

Do you have a robot?
    Sniper that is the only way to drink it. Thanks Willie I was going to buy some from EE too. I like the idea of the small cans, but they do cost more.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

For the Love of Cats

I put up a crapload a few years ago, and, have tested it a few times since, and thought it tasted like a crapload each time! SHTF, and it'll be God's greatest gift since ice cubes, but currently doesn't stop me from making a 45 mile round trip to buy a jug of milk on a Sunday evening. Will try it with Quik, next time. (not a big vanilla fan)

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by realist View Post
    Sniper that is the only way to drink it. Thanks Willie I was going to buy some from EE too. I like the idea of the small cans, but they do cost more.
    Agreed, once we try the small cans, we will order the #10 cans if we like it.

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    I like the idea of pre measuring certain amounts and vacuum sealing them, rather than storing a large box. I bet in the long run, it would last longer split up rather than opening the box and using when needed.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Domeguy View Post
    I like the idea of pre measuring certain amounts and vacuum sealing them, rather than storing a large box. I bet in the long run, it would last longer split up rather than opening the box and using when needed.
    Absolutely, that was the idea and part of the test. Also, it's easy and you don't have to think about it if in a shtf situation. Just cut open the bag and add amount of water that we wrote on the bag and mix.

Walking on Sunshine

Great review Willie. Glad the vanilla helped.I have about 18 #10 cans of EE Prep milk in storage right now. Good idea about repackaging the powder with the amt of water to use. I was thinking of getting the buckets as I will have little ones here SHTF. I'm also looking for a good tasting milk substitute for one grand daughter(lactose intolerant)that I can store for her.Right now I believe son2 and DIL have her on soy milk but I'll have to check.

For the Love of Cats

I'm liking that idea too. X amount of powder in a quart ziplock, rolled up tight and sealed then packed into another tight. A group of them in a vacubag; and good to store. open up a preset bag dump in a quart of water, shake the shit out of it and toss it on ice. Could even have the choco powder premixed in the bag as well.