Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Powered Milk for Medium and Long Term Storage?

Premium Member

Powered Milk for Medium and Long Term Storage?

I would like to hear your thoughts on the best powered milk to buy for medium to long term storage and where to get it. We've tried the boxes from Sam's and then repackaged it in vacuum sealed bags and then stored in sealed buckets. We got two years out of it, but it still has after taste, even fresh from the box.

My better half is from Wisconsin, so need I say more about having to have milk in stock in a shtf situation. Plus, we have 3 grandchildren and one new one on the way due in July. So we were trying to figure out what to stock up on. Any help is appreciated.
    Don't wrestle with pigs; you'll get all muddy and the pigs will love it!

Nido is the best I've found but none of it tastes fresh

you might want to check with the Mormans on their dry milk .... most people think it has superior taste over the retail .... there's four FL supply warehouses for picking up bulk food supplies .... milk is running $70 for a 25lb bucket ready for long term storage ....

https://providentliving.org/self-rel...nters?lang=eng

For the Love of Cats

Great post Willie!!!

I myself am a milk fiend, and put up about 15 pound a few years ago, and have only sampled a couple times. Powdered milk sucks IMO, but this is a good reminder to try my stores, and see how they are doing.

Fidel, what other brands can you give a review for?

Thanks for that link Warrior, have you personally tried it? review? How long have you stored it?
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

For the Love of Cats

atta kid EB! I was going to come back and look for that very thread. You rock!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Premium Member
    Thanks Fidel and thanks Warrior. The Mormon centers are in central and south Florida. Next time I take a trip down that way, I will call and stop by to check them out.

Thanks EB, I remembered that thread from 2 years ago and I "liked" it back then.

I wanted to open back up the discussion to see if there were some newer better products on the market that our Ant family has tried or was using, especially since our prepping needs to be upgraded in that area for the little ones and one on the way. Before, it was just for Songbird and I, but now I need to stock up more. So before I order, I wanted some input. I know that Emergency Essentials says theirs tastes like regular milk from the store and it comes from the Mormons also. http://beprepared.com/#default

I plan to try some different ones (medium and long term storage items) and will report back what we think.

finally pooped
    I've tried some before. honestly if you add almost any type of fat to it, it well improve the taste. they dry powder skim milk usually since the fats and oils cause it to spoil. coconut oil, Crisco, and even lard can improve the taste. bacon esque flavored milk isn't too bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    Welcome to the internet.
    One of us types in our heart and soul, and then puts it up for the world.
    Then, the rest get to interpret it.
    It is literal, or figurative?
    Sad, or happy?
    Angry, or calm?
    Just black and white words on a screen.
    Not like a conversation in person, with facial expressions, body language, tone of voice.

Still, we here pretty much slide along without issues.
    Imagine how well we could get along in person.

Or, we would just think each other is a bunch of assholes

Quote Originally Posted by Willie51 View Post
    Thanks Fidel and thanks Warrior. The Mormon centers are in central and south Florida. Next time I take a trip down that way, I will call and stop by to check them out.

Thanks EB, I remembered that thread from 2 years ago and I "liked" it back then.

I wanted to open back up the discussion to see if there were some newer better products on the market that our Ant family has tried or was using, especially since our prepping needs to be upgraded in that area for the little ones and one on the way. Before, it was just for Songbird and I, but now I need to stock up more. So before I order, I wanted some input. I know that Emergency Essentials says theirs tastes like regular milk from the store and it comes from the Mormons also. http://beprepared.com/#default

I plan to try some different ones (medium and long term storage items) and will report back what we think.

for smaller "trial sizes" of products the Mormans have an online buy & shipping option .... for any product it's advisable to use & evaluate ....

in regard to the Morman warehouses (aka Bishop's Storehouses) you'll need an appointment .... they no longer run canning classes or can product .... the hours will vary according to the manager's availability - think after work hours

Premium Member
    We did order some real whole milk by Gossner Foods. It is natural and produced without hormones. It is in small little 8 fl oz boxes and is shelf stable and usually dated for 2 years. Not bad, but kinda tastes a little like canned carnation milk.

We're looking for the best tasting to store, although in a SHTF situation, I believe it all will be good and gold.