Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Honey Bees 2015

RIP, brother. We are diminshed.

Honey Bees 2015

hello my people. just thought i would start a thread on this year's honey bee doings. this year i am planning on a total of 4 colonies here in the backyard. i have my Top Bar and adding 3 more Langstroths. i have talked with my friend that i do bees with and he's excited about my decision. no pictures as of yet. will post when it's all together.

i did get out the other day and till up 2 sections of ground behind the back fence for bee flowers and such. i picked up a fountain that a neighbor was trashing, cleaned it up and added a new $20 pump from Lowe's and it's good as new. you know bees need water and it sounds cool.
    Last edited by Sniper-T; 03-03-2015 at 02:07 PM.
    "Ya need a hug, or a twinkee? Wait..forget the twinkie". - Dropy

"I'll be in my bunk" Jayne Cobb

'Catch, sauté, and release...' Sniper-T

'Always smile... it makes people wonder what the fuck you are thinking!' Sniper-T

Body Armor is not bullet proof, it is only bullet resistant.* Learn to become strictly a head hunter.*

'All I really needed was a hug'............ Domeguy

Bacon saver

Looking forward to this but your Thread title is a bit misleading. LadyHK will enjoy this once you get it going.
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

For the Love of Cats

Fixed the title for ya...

I'm looking forward to this thread too!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Do you have a robot?
    Hay Rob we just had a story in the news about the theft of bee hives due to there value. I would imagine it is other bee keepers. I guess the almond growers in our area pay big money for having people bringing bees on their property for pollenating the trees. Do you see that in your area and how do you prevent theft? Looking forward to the thread
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownwater Riverrat 13 View Post
    Looking forward to this but your Thread title is a bit misleading. LadyHK will enjoy this once you get it going.
    OK... sorry about that. don't remember what the title was. i am going too add pictures in a day or 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    Fixed the title for ya...

I'm looking forward to this thread too!
    thank you... changed?

Quote Originally Posted by realist View Post
    Hay Rob we just had a story in the news about the theft of bee hives due to there value. I would imagine it is other bee keepers. I guess the almond growers in our area pay big money for having people bringing bees on their property for pollenating the trees. Do you see that in your area and how do you prevent theft? Looking forward to the thread
    yes sir, it is big business out there. it's just not the almond growers, it's all of them from what has been discussed at the bee meetings i have been too.

no, i haven't seen nor heard of it here. i have seen hives just sitting out in the open with nobody around for miles. as for deterring theft at my place? 6' privacy fence, 2 puppies, an electric wire (mainly to keep said puppies from digging out. and i have had yotes try to dig in) and an owner that will put a bullet in your ass! if he catches you inside said fence. no way in but climbing over it. all the gates lock low and from the inside, have to be in the backyard to open.

'Always smile... it makes people wonder what the fuck you are thinking!' Sniper-T

Body Armor is not bullet proof, it is only bullet resistant.* Learn to become strictly a head hunter.*

For the Love of Cats

No biggie, just a typo

Hone Bess 2015 vs Honey Bees

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

running a wireless set up and it might need the batteries changed. i will look into it. thanks for the help.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by realist View Post
    In our neck of the woods, like Rob said, the hives are all over the woods in open spaces. No one bothers them.

BTW, The Tupelo Honey Festival is coming up soon in Wewahitchka, FL.- May 6, 2015 9am to 4pm ET. We go and load up on honey for the year, but when I run out, I have a connection for all the Tupelo I want. We don't use sugar in our house much at all, everything is sweetened with honey. We eat the Tupelo though, it's too expensive to use in everything.

http://www.tupelohoneyfestival.com/
    Don't wrestle with pigs; you'll get all muddy and the pigs will love it!

For the Love of Cats

tupelo?

type of honey?

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    tupelo?

type of honey?
    The best in the world (IMHO)!!! It is the sweetest and has a golden green tint and does not sugar even after 20 years of storage. It only comes from this small region in Northwest Florida where the Tupelo Trees grow way in the backcountry along the river basins. Most of my friend's hives can only be accessed by boat way up the Chipola and Apalachicola Rivers.

http://www.tupelobeekeepers.com/
    Don't wrestle with pigs; you'll get all muddy and the pigs will love it!