Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soil for the garden

I'll most likely shit myself

In Tennesse, we have a county agricultural extension office that is a great deal of help. Not sure about your area.

RIP, brother. We are diminshed.
    Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    In Tennesse, we have a county agricultural extension office that is a great deal of help. Not sure about your area.
    same here. it's $12 to have it tested. cheap price in the scope of things...
    "Ya need a hug, or a twinkee? Wait..forget the twinkie". - Dropy

"I'll be in my bunk" Jayne Cobb

'Catch, sauté, and release...' Sniper-T

'Always smile... it makes people wonder what the fuck you are thinking!' Sniper-T

Body Armor is not bullet proof, it is only bullet resistant.* Learn to become strictly a head hunter.*

'All I really needed was a hug'............ Domeguy

One thing you should have is a compost pile. Mine is made from 4 old pallets. Leaves, grass trimmings, egg shells and vegetable kitchen trimmings and coffee grounds go into ours. Each year I take a section of the garden and work compost into the top 10-12 inches of dirt. However sometimes there are just too many rocks to dig it in deep enough.

At one time I was able to get some loads of horse manure to add to my pile, but I no longer have a truck to haul it and I am not putting that s--t in my car! Manure from horse or cow will certainly help your pile break down faster.

Do you have a robot?
    One thing you might check is a local nursery. Around our area they will conduct general tests on you soil for free. They are looking at bringing in people and make sales. It is a nice marketing gimmick.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

We didn't need a soil test, ours is red clay, brown clay, and an inch or so of sorry topsoil. All of our beds are raised and I've brought in soil by the ton in bags. Lots of manure compost, peat humus, bagged potting soil, regular compost, growers mix compost, and our compost bins. One bin is grass clippings, dirt from the yard, and last years garden plants cut up and piled in. I've got to till the big one with my cultivator attachment so I can mix it up and add some good stuff. I don't use that compost for the garden, we have a large tumbler for that, and it's getting all the good stuff.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.