Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Specific Disaster in Mind?

finally pooped
    The point of me making this was it is something I have wondered about each of you for a long time. Each of you responds a certain way to the questions posed here based on your own point of views and your needs.

I think that seeing what each person prepares for might help us create even more specifically like minded groups as far as discussions. I haven't seen any posts on here that a person has responded with how they are prepping and how that effects the responses they give.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Beans
    Bullets
    Band Aids

(Realistically, the list is longer, but you get the jest...)

Bottom line I think, we all have similar objectives, some in varying quantities, some in varying priorities, but I feel pretty sure... everyone here would bust a cap if you tried to take there box of MREs, push come to shove.

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Quote Originally Posted by jamesneuen View Post

1. do you prepare in small scale or plan to live it forever?
    1) My preparing is more of a lifestyle. I am set up with my raised beds, aquaponics system, rabbits, chickens, ducks, and wild game. I am working on solar power. I have 2 wells on my property plus a 1 acre pond that is 14 feet deep. I am not mobile at all. I am staying where I am and fighting to the death. I have no desire to run.

2. what are you preparing for the most (ie. financial collapse, nuclear war, rapture, civil war, winter ice storms,)
    Mostly financial collapse. I also don't like to rely on outside sources for my essentials. We don't buy any meat, and very little vegetables. Once I get my goats we won't need to buy milk either. My milk now comes from a friend that has cows.

3. what are the most specific things that you think set you apart from others and their preps? (more emphasis on food, weapons, long term survival, underground living)
    I am fairly close to being self sustained. I will always buy stuff when available, but I feel I can make a decent living with no more outside supplies if needed. It would not be fun, but it can be done.

4. why are you preparing for your chosen event? (ie. justification based on facts, beliefs, old gypsy woman said so)
    I just like the lifestyle, and don't like to have to rely on others for anything I need.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

I have still yet to grow a brain
    Sadly I live in a desert. Better known as Colorado. Water is on the short in this area so once your supply is used up more will be difficult to obtain. We have canned food and I run Aquaponic systems in our basement. And soon will begin farming Tilapia and Catfish but again water is the key ingredient for survival.

http://vid1279.photobucket.com/album...ps63eb2e71.mp4

Just need to squeeze in another couple of 150 gallon stock tanks down there for the females and fry.

finally pooped
    Vodin, have you looked at a solar collector? They are installing them on large scale in 3rd world country arid regions. I have been really impressed at the output of them. No idea what the rough cost would be for startup but even a middle sized one would produce enough to easily sustain a family of 7 or 8 full sized adults.

Rainwater catchment system is an obvious thing. When it rains though is it torrential downpour?

I'll most likely shit myself

I think Helo hit the nail on the head for me. "Self sustained, and don't like to have to rely on others for anything I need.

That is what I'm working toward, not sure I'll ever make it, but that is my goal.

I am located in the general area of Los Angeles, more specifically near Psadena. Our home is in the foothills in a fire zone and indeed I have gone through a firestorm and managed to survive.

My first steps in prepping were to be ready to get by for three to four days after a major earthquake. We all begin somehere.

What I see as a real SHTF situation follows:

There have been a couple of hurricanes along the southeastern part of the country and FEMA is stretched to the breaking point. We have the large earthquake in California that drops several of the bridges and overpasses on the major freeways and access points to the area. Many water mains and gas lines are broken by the quake. Stores quickly run out of supplies and the shelves are bare. A few places have some stock but prices are rising FAST. All of the various government checks are not delivered and even those that are can not be cashed as the banks can not operate without electricity. Supplies can not be brought in by air as most major runways have been damaged.

Groups of thugs begin to roam with the intent of taking basic supplies from the "wealthy." The government can not get in to help (do they ever really help?). If I intend to eat and drink, I better have supplies on hand. I need a way to protect my family and our supplies.

Bug out you may say? On what roads? Remember, we have no warning of those little ground shakers. It will not be possible. If stuff really were to get horribly ugly I might be able to get from my home over the mountains to the desert and then make way to our little vacation play in the mountains.

jamesneuen,

Yes I have researched this technology extensively. I am collecting the fabric needed to create one of these devices. Just on a smaller scale. I have been testing with locations. times and different types of weather.

http://specialtyfabricsreview.com/ar...er_design.html

And in Colorado the moisture in the air is owned before it touches the ground.

finally pooped
    Just checkin Vodin. There is a guy across the island that uses them to water his plants. He can AFFORD it. So much stupid use of money down here.

jamesneuen,

Basically all you need to collect the morning mist, fog and moisture is Polyethylene plastic (PE Plastic) In layman terms you know the bags that are a net structure that contain grocery items. Potatoes, Garlic etc. Then build a pixie stick frame and place it in a 5 gallon bucket and drape the bag over that. Allow the wind to blow through the bag to collect the moisture and it then falls into the bucket.

http://www.gopolymers.com/plastic-ty...e-plastic.html

Well at least that is what I am doing. I build small scale setups and record the data that provide results. It is difficult and taxing but it provides a challenge for me. Everything I use to build these are from free materials. Once I get a reliable setup I will be happy to pass it along.