Thread: Dehydrated foods

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    may be in trouble

Overall, which fruit has the broadest vitamin content that will survive dehydration? Getting a dehydrator is looking to be my next major purchase. Being way behind in the Game, to get even partly done will require careful choosing, and would appreciate the resources here to do so.

K

Bacon saver

Quote Originally Posted by Kesephist View Post
    Overall, which fruit has the broadest vitamin content that will survive dehydration? Getting a dehydrator is looking to be my next major purchase. Being way behind in the Game, to get even partly done will require careful choosing, and would appreciate the resources here to do so.

K
    There are other ways of dehydrating other than electricity, but the air of your current geographic local might leave a bit of a carbon monoxide foot print in your mouth.
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

may be in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Brownwater Riverrat 13 View Post
    There are other ways of dehydrating other than electricity, but the air of your current geographic local might leave a bit of a carbon monoxide foot print in your mouth.
    Understood. Native Americans made jerky by cutting meat into thin strips and hanging it on racks , usually with smoky fires around to keep away flies. Im minded of an old episode of GOOD EATS on the (defunct?) Food Network
    where a box fan, bungee cords , furnace filters and paper towels were used to dry jerky. Done outdoors in the vegas climes, and jerky could be had in 12 hours or so.

But the 'how' isn't the question, it's a matter of 'what'. I'd like to know what fruits or vegetables dehydrate with the least loss of vitamins and minerals.