Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caretakers

may be in trouble

Caretakers

Being a solo, and a walmart employee (ergo broke as ***k), I'm pretty much unopinionated on this topic.

Those of you who are intending to bug out WSHTF (not ISHTF) to a predetermined, prepared location... It's always been my wonder how you are making sure that your location is intact and the prep you emplaced there is still there. For those that are hoping to bail and regroup as a larger group, this is key; it'd be a rough go finding your location buried by rockslide or avalanche, burned by a fire, flooded out, or simply just looted by some dirtbag.

Hence the thought of some live-in person or persons at the site, doing such maintenance as needs be done, keeping things ready against Der Tag, and repelling sticky fingered vagabonds.

Comments?

Moderator(s): if this topic ids already been / being discussed, feel free to close this thread and leave me a pmail as to where it is.

Kesephist

For the Love of Cats

It's simply a chance I take, and not wshtf, but everyday. I leave for work in the morning, and leave my home unguarded for the day. I go away for the weekend, or on hoilidays for the week...

Now, if I get home and catch the d-bag in the act, I call the cops. when shtf, not so much.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Do you have a robot?
    The thing is don't lock the doors they will just kick them in. Leave only what you can afford to loose in the house. If you want to store on the property then that would be your caches. It may sound defeatist however I have had a piece of property in the family since 1972. Most of the break ins were from neighbor kids stealing food. Then when things were wide open and I was away at school someone came in and stole the copper wiring, which was not hooked up and copper piping for the propane lights. The took everything else they could carry. Since then the place has fallen in due to neglect (20+ years ago) and now I am building again. With the building I am going to put up I will set it up so I can keep some supplies inside as well as hidden.

My biggest problem are from pot growers who come in an plant. They don't like it when others are around so that is my plan, spend more time at the property and enjoy it. We have a gate at the beginning of the road about a mile away. We are at the end and I am going to put in another gate at my property so keep out vehicles. I also plan on putting in trail cameras around to see who is out and about. In the event it is a neighbor I will put the fear of God into him. Other than that it will be nice to see who is around.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    I'm more concerned over them stealing my Monet, Picaso, and Fabregee eggs than my 12 cans of outdated tuna.

you can have that problem with your apartment (??) when you leave for the store .... I'm guessing you probably have neighbors that watch out for each other .... if you live in an area that's WROL and can't trust anyone - you're crap out of luck and probably get robbed every week ....

same thing applies to a BOL, vacation home, homestead under construction ect ect .... you live in society and civilization - the good & righteous take care of each other .... everyone else gets shot - sooner or later

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    If you wanted to make SURE your site & preps are guarded, the only "real" way is to have a resident en place. Without that, the site will be in a state of ill prepare and a fair to good chance it will already have been vandalized, even in peace time.

This option would only work if the MAG was large enough and dedicated enough to support a resident.

The other option is for YOU to be the resident of your own "BOL". Some here are already on that track... Me? Ive no place to go and nothing en place when I get there, so Im pretty screwed IMHO.

Trying to fly "solo" or "just your family" I think is a recipe for a lot of heart ache and loss. In the end, your doomed for long term. A MAG gives a greater chance to sleep and prepare, wile someone else is pulling security, etc.. in rotation ideally.. However this isnt a MAG thread so Ill end here.

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

may be in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by ElevenBravo View Post
    If you wanted to make SURE your site & preps are guarded, the only "real" way is to have a resident en place. Without that, the site will be in a state of ill prepare and a fair to good chance it will already have been vandalized, even in peace time.

This option would only work if the MAG was large enough and dedicated enough to support a resident.

The other option is for YOU to be the resident of your own "BOL". Some here are already on that track... Me? Ive no place to go and nothing en place when I get there, so Im pretty screwed IMHO.

Trying to fly "solo" or "just your family" I think is a recipe for a lot of heart ache and loss. In the end, your doomed for long term. A MAG gives a greater chance to sleep and prepare, wile someone else is pulling security, etc.. in rotation ideally.. However this isnt a MAG thread so Ill end here.

EB
    We are all doomed, sir, long or short term. I don't particularly fancy the hand I have had dealt to me, but am determined to play it out to the top of my skills and means.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    We don't have a BOL, so right now we are already living there.
    Every morning we go to work, so we take the same risk as others. Me and my wife have different schedules, mine is steady, hers varies some, so anybody coming in here is taking a chance to a point.
    We were broken into several years ago, in the late morning. They cleaned out the jewelry, took a small laptop, ate a bunch of candy while they tried to get online with the desktop. They got one firearm I had taken out of the safe the day before in anticipation of taking it to work the following day.
    They ignored the Browning 1919A4 leaning in the corner between the kitchen and bathroom in the hall. But, we are two houses off a main thoroughfare, and they were on foot. We get a lot of LE traffic, as we are only a couple miles from the station. I guess a guy with a 4ft long machinegun looking thing over his shoulder walking down the road would be asking for it.
    Everything they took fit in a gym bag that the gun they took was in.
    They just busted a window. I have all the lower sections screwed shut, so they had to pull the upper part down and crawl over the top. I now have lexan over all the glass. You can hit it with a good sized hammer, and only be disappointed. If the bouncing hammer doesn't catch you in the face.

Never caught the guy, haven't gotten anything back.
    Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

finally pooped
    poor guy probably didn't even know what a 1919 is.

may be in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by ElevenBravo

And WTSHTF? What happens to the caretaker?

Is he taken up into the group?

Is he expelled? If so, with at least SOME supplies? or just his standing clothes and his life?

Or worse?

Yes, I am Heaven only knows how many different multiple types of bastard for asking. Someone has to ask, and it appears to've been me.

As though Captain Second City over there, or his buddy, Jimmy New One, were going to.