Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pimp my trailer

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Quote Originally Posted by slowz1k View Post
    I agree that a suspension lift would help with angle of approach, and help keep the tail from dragging, but most of these util trailers ( mine included ) have straight axles. The only way to get more actual ground clearance for that axle is larger tires. You'll have the same amount of clearance on a trailer with an 8" lift, as you would on one with a 2" lift, IF they are both running the same size tires.

Edit:::: I wrote the above and just realized you weren't even talking about ground clearance. You are right... A lift would pay off when you need to keep the cargo out of the muck. Good point helo!
    I think both are good, bigger wheels and tires and a lift of the axle. Every bit helps, well until it gets so high it is unstable.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

Do you have a robot?
    Quote Originally Posted by izzyscout21 View Post
    Realist,

The mesh floor is underneath the plywood. I plan on taking the plywood off.

Do you happen to own the gas can racks you linked to?
    Izzy I do not have these, I have the older ones which hold the lower portion and I will have to fabricate something to keep them in place.
    The thing I like about the ones from Quadratec is they will stay in place even if I do not lock them down. They are on my list to aquire. I another flatbed car carrier which is my winter project along with an old jeep pickup bed trailer. The jeep trailer will have a pair and the flatbed will have four. I just have to figure out how to get approval from the War Department.............
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

I removed the old plywood. The mesh is decent, but I'm gogin to drop a wood deck on it.

Took my angle grinder and dispatched of all the horrid rust spots.
    Sanded, primed, and first coat of paint on:
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I'll most likely shit myself

How does your gate lock in place? I looked back but didn't see a pic of that. My step dad has a similar trailer, maybe a little longer. I borrowed it to haul some 12' and 14' lumber on and made some cables and cable clamps to hold the gate horizontal to the bed. Gave me an extra 3-4' to support the boards. Cost me maybe $10-12.

Do you have a robot?
    The one we have has some spring loaded ell bolts which go into place. Not a good description. Okay on the drop down gate there is a welded bracket which holds a spring loaded ell shaped rod. This acts as a handle to pull the spring loaded portion back to engage it with the frame of the trailer to hold it closed. There is one on each side of the ramp. Hope that helps
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    How does your gate lock in place? I looked back but didn't see a pic of that. My step dad has a similar trailer, maybe a little longer. I borrowed it to haul some 12' and 14' lumber on and made some cables and cable clamps to hold the gate horizontal to the bed. Gave me an extra 3-4' to support the boards. Cost me maybe $10-12.
    It has some funky u-shaped rods that slide into lock it up. I'm not a fan, but again, I can't complain about free.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.