Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Going Solar electric - your input please?

Going Solar electric - your input please?

Within the month we will make a final decision on a solar electric system for our home. I do not intend to rent or lease, it will be a purchase. Not sure if the H.E.R.O. program is a national or state program but we have been approved for the loan, low cost, billed on property tax and becomes a tax deduction. In about 2 weeks we begin to listen to proposals from 3 different companies.

We will be tied into the grid, but I want a system that will not be grid dependent as when, not if, the grid goes down I still have electricity to at least run some basic items. In about 2 weeks we begin to listen to proposals from 3 different companies. Our electric usage in our 3 hottest months July - Sept. averages 51 kWh per day and in our coldest months, Dec. - Feb. we average 32 kWh/day. These averages are over the last 2 years. I just retired so I will be home and using a bit more electricity during the days.

What questions do you suggest I ask of the sales people who will be making presentations to us? I would love to hear from those of you who have a system in place.

Do you have a robot?
    I'm going to hang onto your coat-tails and learn something.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

I'll most likely shit myself

Subscribed to this thread. Gotta be some good stuff come thru.

Things I have thought about if I ever get to that point. If grid tied, what needs to be done to separate and add batteries? What kind of tracking mechanisim they provide? This is a very important issue. good friend of mine (retired engineer) bought 4 different 85 watt panels to experiment with to power his EmComm station at home. He performed lots of testing on all 4, including tracking the sun with them. As opposed to just facing them due south, he found that moving them to track the sun at least every two hours he gained nearly 50% more power. Every hour was near 60% more. This was on the most productive panel of the 4. My guess is an automated tracker would be very valuable indeed to a whole house system.

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    All of the above for sure, but my first question would be warranties on all of the components, including also the labor and installation. The batteries warantee will be an important one. I would ask if the inverter will be a large one unit piece, or will they use individual micro inverters on each panel, and have them tell you why they prefer their choice. If you are wanting battery feed back when the power goes out, ask about the installation process as to how the are planning to wire the unit to prevent feedback into the grid. I've heard of some power companies not liking this kind of system due to possible feedback to the grid while a repair is being done to the downed grid at the same time. Also check into the efficiency and consumer reports of all the package components involved.
    They will most likely want to mount stationary roof mounted racks to save them time, but do ask about a pole mounted sun tracking system, and when they tell you you don't need that, ask them to prove why not. Also ask about lightening protection.
    How old is your roof? Do you have a well ventilated area for the battery bank, and approximately how far is that area from the fuse box?

Walking on Sunshine

Don't forget to check what your local, state laws are concerning "alternative" energy. Where I'm at ALL alternative energy(read solar, wind) MUST be grid tied. I am still trying to find the email of a company out of Livonia that does "portable" generator/converters for the Army. A "portable" doesn't have to be grid-tied and what I remember from the show I went to they have units that can be added on to increase the amount of energy produced and still not be grid tied. Just learned from my brother they are required to be grid tied in NV as well and the electric company is dragging their feet on the converters for the solar panels they installed.Bro says it's because they don't want to pay the customer for the excess electricity.

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    The way you are purchasing the system seems pretty sweet. Must be a California green thing, we don't have any kind of programs like that in my area of Tennessee. Looks like it will be 100% from the checkbook when the time comes. Also, I forgot to ask about solar hot water heating for you in your area. Have you looked into that? Even if you have gas hot water, you can't beat free energy from the sun.

Do you have a robot?
    Katrina why does everything have to be grid tied? Is that in order to get some sort of subsidy? If everything has to be grid tied then it is like back in the 30's, no I'm not that old, when some people were forced to get on the grid.

Walking on Sunshine

realist,
    I was told by several of the companies at the show I went to it's part of the deal that the utility companies struck with the state to provide less expensive energy. It's about controlling the flow of power and money, I mean if I can go "off-grid" how does Consumers power collect money from me or from anybody for that matter. the people I talked to were talking about whole house systems but I was looking for power to keep the sump running in case the city shuts down the services like in Sandy Hook. My generator won't work if the gas is off. We've done enough "rough" camping that I can deal with no stove,lights or central heating but the sump?? My basement would flood in a matter of a couple of hours. Been there, did that,never again if I can help it.

Do you have a robot?
    Its weird I had a guy over a couple of years ago to give me a quote on a system. When I told him I wanted it off the grid he gave me a blank look and asked why. He could not ever see when there would be a time of extended power outage. Why, because of my solar system. Well bucko you need to understand if I do not have storage batteries then I can't run my stuff, Oh......... I didn't buy.

Walking on Sunshine

Good for you realist. Socal, just keep us abreast of your progress, am very interested how it turns out.