Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vehicles: How Many Can You Drive?

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Vehicles: How Many Can You Drive?

How many different types of vehicles can you drive?

For example, I don't know how to drive a standard-shift car. I can probably figure it out having tried a few times, but if in a SHTF situation someone said "take my car" I'd be screwed.

Driving my riding mower today made me realize I've never driven a tractor or large farm equipment like that.

I've also never driven a motorcycle.

18 Wheeler ? Forget it.

I can drive the hell out of my Rav4 though!

Point is, some folks seem to have a diverse array of experiences when it comes to driving stuff. Others of us don't. Could I figure them out if forced? Sure, but it would be unnatural and much time would be wasted. Can you imagine if someone was depending on you to drive them to the hospital and you're sitting there trying to figure out how the clutch works?

Where do you fall in the spectrum?
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Claptrap's Problem Solver

.....and we all know Izzy is going to storm in here and tell us about driving Strykers so we can all be jealous.

If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Resident Seafood Procurement Officer

I am already jealous, having never driven a stryker. I have a motorcycle and have driven semis, farm tractors, bulldozers, large front loaders and about anything else you can think of. That being said, the farm and heavy equipment today do not operate like they did back when. They are all computerized computers. They have buttons, not levers. Takes some adjustment.

I'll most likely shit myself

I drove my first tractor by myself when I was 7. I had been riding/driving them with my step dad since I was 3. Started riding motocross/enduro bikes by 11. Street and drag bikes by 15. I drove our trucks around in the field when we were hauling hay, and learned how to back tailers between the trucks and tractors with equipment. I also got lucky in some regard when I was 12, the DOT started putting a 4 lane in by my grandpa's property, when we would get to the construction my step dad would stop and let me drive the 2-3 miles on to my grandparents house and back. I got to do that for 2 years till the construction was done. I scored 1st in my drivers ed class competition in high school.
    After I got older and started working I drove a tractor trailer for about a year. I have also operated some heavy equipment, dozed, front end loader, backhoe, grader, & bobcat.
    Sorry Izzy, no striker operating here!

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

I've drove a lot, stick shift, 18 wheel (parking lot to load) motorcycles. I should be ok here.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Crotch Rocket

I have three of those listed in my driveway right now. Motorcycle, standard, and auto. I've got time in on tractor's, have operated both the A2 and A3 variants of the M113 APC, which is a tracked vehicle. The A2 was stopped and steered by lever.

I got to drive a HEMTT along two tracks in MO, that was fun.

Less fun was towing a trailer down to Joplin. I'd never towed like that before, and Indianapolis was a joy with the loose steering in the van we were using. I kept hitting the rumble strips and waking my passengers up! lol Funny thing is I can back them up mostly ok (I'm out of practice) from doing so during yard work on open acreage in my teen years.

I missed my best chance to drive an 18 wheeler, but my other experiences lead me to believe I could do it, if needed.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    .....and we all know Izzy is going to storm in here and tell us about driving Strykers so we can all be jealous.

Well other than the aforementioned vehicle which shall stay nameles in the post, I'd be ok on the M1113,and M2 and M3 series Bradley Fighting Vehicles.
    I do have the ability to drive a stick and most of my childhood and teenage years was spent working on the farm driving tractors.

I DO NOT have the ability to drive anything with two wheels. Last time I tried was a total FAIL moment. Was not a pretty picture.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Just 2 or 3 mice or squirrels will do the job....don't ask

Stick, auto transmission, dirt bike, road bike, snowmobile, snow cat, skid steer 6x6 atv (almost as old as I am), 5 speed stick with 2 speed rear end, 35ft motor home, wheat combine ( just transporting) various small power boats (just fishing, fresh and salt) Unfortunately I would be worse than dangerous with anything airborne but would would like to find the time to learn at least fixed wing.

NVG....totally a work deduction!

Pretty much anything with wheels, and quite a few things with tracks. I have owned motorcycles for years but am currently without. I can drive automatic or stick (with or without a synchronized transmission).

I have a bit of simulator time in jet aircraft, and a little seat time in single engine piston aircraft and just about 2 hours in rotorcraft (which I am quite sure I can fly once, and based on my landing ability it might be only once, you'll be able to walk away... once)

I would add based on a previous post that all my heavy equipment and farm equipment experience was with pre1990 equipment, so I might not do so well with the buttons.

The source of all known trouble in the universe

I can fly most General Aviation airplanes. not sure that I could still fly a helicopter without having to take a couple hours with an instructor.