Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Here it comes - short term SHTF

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    I could probably add some weight to the back in time for next winter, right now 4X4 is working better than expected.

I laid down a 4pm for a nap, periodic ghust were still present, not much.. mama got me up a 6 for dinner, no bean chili, which loosely translates to "hamburger, diced tomatoes and chili powder", but its what Lil'Bravo wanted.. We had about maybe 6 at the time.

Its 5:44pm, looks like a solid 10 down now but the flakes are a lot bigger! Its putting it down pretty decent. They are still forecasting a blizzard (35+ MPH for 3 or more hours to constitute a blizzard), so we will see... Last blizzard I saw here was in 1996, that was 20 years ago and we got 2 feet of snow with 3 foot drifts... this is in an area where no more than 5 maybe 6 max at a time, and we would call that a "good snow", usually its closer to 2 or 3... Ive seen winters that we just got a dusting and that was all!

We got snow fall Thr, and that was SLICK LIKE SNOT ON GLASS snow, and just enough to cover the road and it quit... *THAT* snow as way more dangerous than this one to drive in.. the last 6 miles home on back roads I was creeping at 5mph and worried about the ditch!

Right now its been roughly 12 hours of snow, with a tentative snow fall until maybe 3pm tomorrow, if that holds true we have 19 or so hours of snow to go yet??

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Well now, at midnight, it's raining.
    Sucks, I wanted some real snow.
    We got maybe 3" or so, then it turned to sleet for a bit, and then stopped. A while later, started raining. Supposed to rain all night, and we'll into morning. Been good and windy most of the time.
    I got 2 kero heaters, 30 gallons of kero, 2 camp stoves and probably 10 gallons of fuel, over 40 lbs of propane for the grill.
    Enough food for at least a month, without refrigeration.

I really wanted some serious snow.
    Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

At 11p, we had about 16 and conditions were bad on the road, Lil'Bravo helped me get all 4 chained up... took it for a test drive, tighten the tensioners and it was a beast!

Wind picking up now and still snowing.. By noon tomorrow it should be wrapped up, according to the WX websites... we will see.

EB
    "AR - America's Rifle"

Bacon saver

Quote Originally Posted by ElevenBravo View Post
    Im SWVA, were in the 16-24 zone... It started at 5:30 this morning as of 2pm we have about 5. "Supposed" to snow till 4pm tomorrow with possible blizz conditions.

The snow is DRY and POWDERY.. Jeep Grand is doing PERFECT, however in 2W its a dead duck.

Shooting a little video, havent done much because frankly at this point Im not impressed.

Gen as 2.5 gal in the tank for 10hr run time at 70% load, topped up two 5gal cans yesterday, along with 2 20lb LP tanks for the space heater, should be good for about 4 days at 24 hour run time (thermostat controlled, I need to showcase this thing).

"Plenty" of food, no problems.. Water heater is gas, were on system water... For now, this is a major minor event for me... Yawn.

Ill follow up on this thread, as long as the OP blesses it... I dont want it hijack without permission (I can do another thread).

BTW, the gust are starting to pickup, about 15-20, previously wend was mostly still.

EB
    And make sure you got that damn blazer topped off and the ol diesel additive in there. Don't want to be "Gellin" this year my brother. All my yard ornaments have been squared away here, but that's just for the freezin and a dustin we're gettin this year. Hope all is well out there with you and yours. I know YOU are ready. Keep your eye out for the "5 little piggies"
    Be safe. OUT!
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

He's old and grumpy, but not fat. He'll be right back...he has to go tell some kids to get off his lawn

Started snowing here I Philly about 7PM. There are 12 inches now, forecast is for 12+ more. Roads are a mess, as it takes the plows over 3 hours to do a curcuit. Winds about 20mph.
    Pretty much everything is closed. The local 7-11 is open, lots of cars stranded. Have to love the idiots with their 4x4 SUVS that have never been off road. A lot of them are now, mostly in ditches.
    I m stocked up and staying indoors.
    "There are no winners in war, only bigger losers"

If you see me or hear me coming, I'm not doing my job.

Rained all night, until around 9am or so. Give or take. The 3" of snow is now about 3" of water over more than half the yard.
    An hour or so ago, it started sleeting, in earnest. Everything is now covered in ice, and the temp is starting to drop.
    If I did want to go anywhere, I'd have to stand in 3" of watery mud and chip the solid sheet of ice off the windows.

I'd much rather have the foot of snow.

At 8am Sat it was still snowing, but light.. at noon its a wrap! Havent seen the Blizzard winds yet, trees are still. We got 18" overall I believe. Im thinking we wont get the wind after all.

Tomorrow is supposed to be 40, I should get a chance to shovel out at the end of the drive from where the plow ran, and I can see pretty blacktop now... so that would be a good day to pull the chains off too. I hate I went though all the work to put them on and trim the for first install but.. it was a contingency move, if it snowed a lot more before today it would be a lot worse to put chain on in...

Like a box of chocolates, you never really know what your gonna get...

EB
    "AR - America's Rifle"

Well, it's still "raining" ice. It has gotten steadily stronger since it started. The temp has been slowly dropping. Ice is coming down so hard now, it looks like a good, solid rain.
    It's starting to get some snow mixed in.
    Everything is white again, but with ice this time.

I'd rather have two feet of snow than all this ice. Today is the worse day around here.

Fix, Im with you... Id rather see snow than ice any day...
    "AR - America's Rifle"

I went around and looked out the various windows. All that water? I got various sized skating rinks on three sides.

Well, the xbox is finally done downloading. Gonna play some sniper elite iii. Gonna shoot me some nazis.