Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Here it comes - short term SHTF

Here it comes - short term SHTF

From everything I am hearing the northeast part of our country will be slammed pretty hard by a major snow storm system in the next few days. Those of you in that part of the country, are you ready to ride things out for about a week without going to the store? How long will you get by without electricity? Can you heat your home without electricity? Here is a good test of your preps.

Good luck my friends on the east coast.

On the bright side, Congress will not be working and we will not get any crappy legislation passed.

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    I am in its path, but are expecting only an inch or two at the most. But our roads and terrain can be difficult to get around safely with ice and snow on them, so 1 inch to most people is a paralyzingly snow storm. My driveway is about 500' and very steep, so if we get snow or ice, unless it is an emergency, we just stay home. I can drive in it, I have 4WD truck and have a CDL liscence with experience of driving in these conditions. But most don't, and it's comical how everyone panics with 1/4 inch of snow...EVERYTHING shuts down. The grocery stores are emptied the night before even with the hint of snow. The weatherman in the area is preaching gloom and doom because we have the threat to get maybe up to 2 inches of snow. But to answer your question, our power could go out due to icing conditions, but with the generators, 1 big, 1 small, they are enough to keep the refrigerator, freezer, and emergency things Ok for at least 2 weeks, and with the wood stove, I can heat the house until spring if needed. We have enough food and water to last a couple months also. But my main problem would be if the missus and I were to be stuck in the house together for an indefinite time, I think she would probably end up killing me. It would be like the movie "The War of the Roses".

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    We are in the path, but no one can decide whether it will be rain, a mix, or some snow.
    Right now, weather is saying a little rain, with maybe a little snow mixed in.
    Western part of the state is already getting good snow. Nothing here, sky just looks threatening. If anything happens, it's not supposed to start for several hours.
    Kinda pissed. I was looking forward to a few days at home, not being bothered.
    I guess that should say we are ready.
    Daughters school was cancelled today, just in case.
    I guess that tells you how people are around here when it comes to snow.
    Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

He's old and grumpy, but not fat. He'll be right back...he has to go tell some kids to get off his lawn

I m in the 12-16 inch area. No big deal. The way they are talking about this, you would think the world was coming to an end. The "French Toast" brigade are buying milk, bread and eggs like there is no tomorrow. We'll see how bad it really gets.
    "There are no winners in war, only bigger losers"

If you see me or hear me coming, I'm not doing my job.

I'll most likely shit myself

We are on the so there fringe a little east of DG. Not really expecting much. But we are ready for what we do get.

For the Love of Cats

Supposed to be +1C here tomorrow. I'll probably run around nekkid outside!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    That should be fun.

I'm just not getting the bread and milk thing. Guess I missed something.
    Power goes out, throw just purchased milk away.

I got captain Morgan black, myself. If it gets too cold, there's hot chocolate with godiva licquer in it.
    Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Im SWVA, were in the 16-24 zone... It started at 5:30 this morning as of 2pm we have about 5. "Supposed" to snow till 4pm tomorrow with possible blizz conditions.

The snow is DRY and POWDERY.. Jeep Grand is doing PERFECT, however in 2W its a dead duck.

Shooting a little video, havent done much because frankly at this point Im not impressed.

Gen as 2.5 gal in the tank for 10hr run time at 70% load, topped up two 5gal cans yesterday, along with 2 20lb LP tanks for the space heater, should be good for about 4 days at 24 hour run time (thermostat controlled, I need to showcase this thing).

"Plenty" of food, no problems.. Water heater is gas, were on system water... For now, this is a major minor event for me... Yawn.

Ill follow up on this thread, as long as the OP blesses it... I dont want it hijack without permission (I can do another thread).

BTW, the gust are starting to pickup, about 15-20, previously wend was mostly still.

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

Post away EB! While I leave the job of blessing to God, you do have my permission. Good to hear that everyone that has responded is ready. Out here on the left coast you would think this will be the biggest snowstorm to ever hit the country. What do you expect when the sky gets cloudy and the TV news people go to "STORM WATCH 2016?"

For the Love of Cats

EB, your Jeep is behaving like an underweighted pickup in 2wd. Toss some weight in the back, as close to the axle as you can. handling will improve exponentially. go too heavy and the front end will get light and handling will decrease. Find your rides happy weight.

Keep in mind that anything you put there will become a projectile, in event of a collision. STRAP IT DOWN!

My toy is 4wd, but it is in 2wd 99% of the time. I use 50 # bags of grain, 8 of them. But, I have a beefed up suspension!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.