Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caves? Yes or No?

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

Caves? Yes or No?

Have you been in a cave? Do you have them near you? Would you use one? Trust one?

My take....temporary at best, you would be cornered, possible collapse. IDK....just to many negatives. How about you?
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

The source of all known trouble in the universe

A cave is one of the best options in case of troubles if you don't have a BOL, IMHO.

I'll most likely shit myself

I have to go with RJ. Caves would be pretty constant temps, out of wind and weather, and ready made. If they don't have a second enterance you could be cornered, but other than critters I can't think of any others negatives. I try and go to as many caves as I can, both commercial and not. I think there cool and are very nice on a hot day.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

I don't disagree completely...I've just seen where the heat from a fire can make the stone crack and fall. I like checking them out also.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

I am talking natural caves. are you?

I'll most likely shit myself

Agreed fires would need to be kept small, less smoking as well. Something else I keep an eye out for when hiking is what I call a rock house. It' nothing more than a rock overhang where the soil or rock itself has eroded away. They will provide some decent shelter for a quick set up. I know you go to the Red River Gorge to hike, that place should be covered with them. I know the Big South Fork is down here. They have very similar terrian.

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

Jerry has a story about a guy who uses a cave in his BOL, which take place in southern MO. My concern with caves is that reptiles like to hole up in them. The same can be said for old mine adits. I have up close and personal experience with buzzworms in old mines- not fun!!!! On the other hand they make an expedient source of food when you find them. Caves and mines can also be used as fallout shelters with a little improvisation. Using a hobo stove in them is also easy as is a Coleman stove or a whisperlite type of stove. Uniform temperature also serves to minimize the fuel required to keep warm.

So.. there are tradeoffs to caves, but by and large I wouldn't dismiss them out of hand- they could be a prime BOL. I just can't stand buzzworms!!!
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

Caves: Animals use them, Neanderthal used them for thousand of years, Afghans are still using them. They work real well. If the one entrance can be a problem, it is also a good tactical advantage.

Just my opinion though.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

I spent the night in a cave back in cub scouts.

Freaked me out to no end.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Has been known to look at Izzy's trunk. Stares at the junk in Izzy's trunk. Get it...he's checking out Izzy's trunk.

Don't forget about flash floods, if a cave has flowing water in it that would be a concern.
    “The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.” ~ G.K. Chesterton