Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleep mat, do you have one?

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

Sleep mat, do you have one?

I have a Therm-a-rest sleep mat that I take hiking. I also have a older military foam roll up mat to. I like both and will be leaving a review soon.

Do you have a mat in your b.o.b? If so, what kind? If not....why?
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Crotch Rocket

I have a self-inflating Coleman model that's seemed to work out ok for me. There wasn't any real research or forethought put into it though. I just liked how much smaller it rolled up compared to the military foam I have as well.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

I'll most likely shit myself

I also have a thermarest light weight model. I would like to get one of the thicker models, but they take up a lot more space. Super comfy though.

I used an old ensolite (closed cell foam pad for years. There ok but not nearly as comfortable. Big advantage to them, you don't have to worry about punctures. I usually carry a large square of the foam to sit on in the winter. Keeps you dry and insulated.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

I've got a Snigpak Midi. I like it quite a bit as it is very durable and relatively light weight. While I was active duty, I normally just rolled my fart sack out on the ground without a pad. Now a little older and wiser, I realize that I'm not Rambo and there's nothing cool about waking up with stone bruises on my back. I'll roll out with the pad.

Snugpak Self-Inflating Midi Sleeping Mat
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

In his experience the hammer head is better

I use the USGI foam pad. Works well for me. It is a little bulky but for 3 dollars I cannot complain.

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

I have an ensolite that I've had for some number of years. It's okay, but I wouldn't consider it comfortable. Nowadays I am usually camping out of my truck so I have a nice Coleman blow-up mattress. But the ensolite pad, a bivvy sack and a poncho and liner ( courtesy of my jarhead buddies at Pendleton and 29 stumps) comprise my BOB sleeping system-lightweight and adequate for SoCal.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

Premium Member

I have 2 Therma-rest pads, and an for an alternative, off the ground system, an Eagle's Nest Outfitters hammock. I need the rainfly for the hammock though, haven't bought that yet.

NVG....totally a work deduction!

I have many thermarest models

I have the z rest foam pad, which is light but bulky and not as comfortable as the self inflating type.

I have 2 of the 2 inch think luxury series for camping near my transportation

I have one of the new ultralight NeoAir pads, which I carry almost everywhere other than as EDC.

I'll most likely shit myself

CW never heard of the NeoAir pads. Sounds like you like them pretty well, i"ll have to check them out.

Premium Member

I have the Thermarest Prolite Plus and I love it! I used to camp without anything on the ground while in college. Woke up a few times with bruises... but as I got older (and hopefully wiser), I decided upon the Thermarest. One of the best investments I've made! However, for how much I spent, I didn't like that I had to purchase the stuff sack separately. That would be my only complaint thus far.

Bran <><