Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dug up two of my caches today and results not so good

I'll most likely shit myself

How many caches have you dug up now? 2? 3? Did you only have one that failed? I would examine that cache very closely. Sounds to me like something was just a little different with it.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

3 so far, only one was dry. I sealed all of them up the same way.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

I'll most likely shit myself

Damn, that just don't make any sense to me. How different were locations? Or were they in the same general area?

About 150 yards apart. Soil is very similar, the two that had water where on top of hills, the one that was dry was way at the bottom of a hill. The dry one was in better soil, but not much better.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    You know, from the pics, it's upright. It also has an "inner" cap, meaning the cap threads down into the inside of the end.
    This is not conducive to shedding water. Rain will sit on the flat top, laying on those threads. If there is a way in, water will find it.
    Also, if it's as close to the surface as it appears, and the sun hits that area, the top will warm up in the sun, and cool at night.
    A ring always expands more than a plug.
    The air at the top will add slight pressure, if it can escape, the cooling at night will cause a vacuum, sucking air back in.
    Or, some rainwater that was on top.

At least that's a theory.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

Quote Originally Posted by helomech View Post
    About 150 yards apart. Soil is very similar, the two that had water where on top of hills, the one that was dry was way at the bottom of a hill. The dry one was in better soil, but not much better.
    I was curious how this would turn out ever since we talked about it. It makes me wonder though how the water got in...the way it was sealed I really thought it would be fine.

- - - Updated - - -

You know we've had way more rain the last few years than normal here too though...

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    You know, from the pics, it's upright. It also has an "inner" cap, meaning the cap threads down into the inside of the end.
    This is not conducive to shedding water. Rain will sit on the flat top, laying on those threads. If there is a way in, water will find it.
    Also, if it's as close to the surface as it appears, and the sun hits that area, the top will warm up in the sun, and cool at night.
    A ring always expands more than a plug.
    The air at the top will add slight pressure, if it can escape, the cooling at night will cause a vacuum, sucking air back in.
    Or, some rainwater that was on top.

At least that's a theory.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    It is about 8-12 inches below ground level. Only one gets full sun, the rest only get limited sun. I want the threads up, that will allow me to get out some supplies and re close. When I get all the water out, I will use sealant to close them up next time, instead of the liquid plumber stuff I used last time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by T70 View Post
    I was curious how this would turn out ever since we talked about it. It makes me wonder though how the water got in...the way it was sealed I really thought it would be fine.

- - - Updated - - -

You know we've had way more rain the last few years than normal here too though...
    My theory was that the iron ore would not allow much water to penetrate to the tube. Guess I was wrong.

finally pooped
    I would store them with the plug side down so if water got in, it could also get out. then just pull it right up out of the hole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    Welcome to the internet.
    One of us types in our heart and soul, and then puts it up for the world.
    Then, the rest get to interpret it.
    It is literal, or figurative?
    Sad, or happy?
    Angry, or calm?
    Just black and white words on a screen.
    Not like a conversation in person, with facial expressions, body language, tone of voice.

Still, we here pretty much slide along without issues.
    Imagine how well we could get along in person.

Or, we would just think each other is a bunch of assholes

There is no way it is just pulling up. Once the ground packs around them, you have to dig them up to get them out.

- - - Updated - - -

If i an put a plug on a water system that will hold 60 psi, I know I can put the cap on this with no pressure. Must have just not sealed the top well.

Well checked 2 more and they where perfectly dry. So 2 out of 5 had water in them, just happened to be the first two I checked. The last two I had to pull out of the ground (damn that was some work) to unscrew the cap. I used pipe dope on them and it took me about 45 minutes to get into them. That is unacceptable. So instead of pipe dope I used the thread tape. I will just check on them a little more often.