Thread: Long term storage dog food

Long term storage dog food

any input? I have a Rottweiler and want to stock up long term food (cost effective) for him. Any suggestions?

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    IMHO, dry food is not entirly dry, their is a lot of oil in it. This translates to rancid state if stored too long.

I would have better confidence in can food.

Just my thoughts, and we have a dog so Ive got skin in the topic.

EB

For the Love of Cats

breed cats.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

I have still yet to grow a brain
    Sorry my wife makes the dogs food and we got 3 of em.

Lrg Coon hound is 11, Dobie is 9 and the little blue eyed coon hound is 3. You make the food and wow the dogs change.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    The tallest oak in the forest was once just a nut who held its ground.

Be decisive. Right or Wrong, make a decision. The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who could not make a decision.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Beautiful dogs V, *love* the blue eyes!

Further... if the bubble burst and I was at my BOL (which I dont have, but wish I did...) Teq would be getting scraps from the dressing of small critters in addition to what ever else I can feed her.

My dog would not only be a companion, but a working dog... funny how dogs key in on dangers and trespassers so keenly...

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

One reason to own anatolian shepherds they are very good at feeding themselves.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

Do you have a robot?
    Growing up my aunt used to make her own dog food. They used to have a large ranch with 10 to 12 cattle dogs. The dog food came in grain bags about fifty pounds each. I remember we used to mix it dry with some other ingredients then it would go in a big pot which water would be added and it would be cooked up. All the dogs had their own dog houses outside and we would take the food warm which was nice for the dogs when there was snow on the ground. I wish I knew what ingredients were I would think it probably would have stored well.

My poor old guy is on his last leg, going blind, can't hear and has a hard time going from laying down to standing up, kinda sounds like me. I feed him dry food mainly. I store it in a metal garbage can to keep out the crawlies. I generally keep about two to three months of food on hand.

I used to have a working dog. The vet I took him to asked me if I fed my dog table scraps. When I said yes he asked me why I did not eat them? I told him they were fatty or something I did not want to eat. He then asked they why do you give it to your dog if you will not eat it. Good thought and I have always limited the amount of fat we give him from our food.

I have always been leery of giving him anything along the line of poultry bones. However it makes sense if they go out an kill a bird there is no problem with them eating it whole. The bones are made brittle by cooking them so I no longer cook the chicken but cut it up and put it in raw. My current dog, a lab was very protective of our place and would kill anything which came in to the yard. He would also eat what he killed, possums, rabbits and small birds. So in his younger days I could see him living off the land. Does anyone have a dog which will do the same?
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

Where's the epi?

You can 'can' dog food just like you do your own food. It will last years and years. I made up a couple of cases of food for ours (one is 75 lbs and othe 85 lbs) out of chicken that my sister raised for me but was too tough to eat, peas, green beans, potatoes. You can choose what to put in it. I cooked up the food and ground it up like you would do sausage. Then filled jars that would be enough for 1 meal for both of them and put it in the pressure canner. They get dry food for now but that is my emergency food for them...at least a start.
    I apologize for nothing...