Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: my garden

Do you have a robot?
    Typical garden. Each year it is different. Tomatoes are the biggest problem, they just don't want to produce. Hopefully they will come up later. Everything else is good.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

I didn't even plant this year... But it's ok because my beagle planted for me last year. It turns out when she raided my tomatoes last fall she left a bunch of seeds. So now I have 12 plants that seeded and are popping greenies like there is no tomorrow. My dill self seeded as well and so did my ground cherries. I had onions that didn't take last year and they all came up this year... So I have an accidental garden. I'm still going to plant up some spinach and radishes for a fall harvest. I might even try for some late season baby cukes

-------------------------------------------------

Patriotism is a pernicious, psychopathic form of idiocy. – George Bernard Shaw

To me, it seems a dreadful indignity to have a soul controlled by geography. – George Santayana

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

I'm just trying to keep everything alive at this point. 102-103-100-101* day after day is just awful. Waiting to get back to 90-95* daily highs so maters will start making again. Actually have some nice cucumbers, and more okra than we can stand, and melons are doing well. My weeds in the garden are doing fantastic. Lol
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

I'll most likely shit myself

We are getting Buku okra to the point we are giving away some. May try and sell a little. Our winter squash has made a lot but lack of rain has kept them small. Melons are soso. Tomatos and cukes have just quit. Gonna dig taters this weekend.

I harvested a bunch of onions, red, yellow, and white. All turned out well, but my reds are already starting to go bad. Will plant much less of those next year. Only had 1 while and 0 yellows go bad at this point.

For the Love of Cats

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman Survival View Post
    ... and so did my ground cherries. ...
    Would it be possible to get some seeds/pits? off of you? I've been wanting to plant some, but cannot find them.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

I let my new lady have a go at a garden so she could see what it takes... I'll say this, she can raise all the grass you can eat. Lol
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Just checking in to give an update on our garden.

A decent amount of green beans put away, now moving into the dried beans from them. Tomatoes have been good, though not outstanding. We continue to get a decent daily harvest and enough to give some away. Squash plants doing very well, though this year the butternut squash look a bit smaller than last year. Peppers hav been outstanding, we have dried lots of cayenne and getting a bumper crop of jalapenos.

My peach tree went crazy in early July and then was pretty badly destroyed by our local bear. We had to harvest and the timing for canning was not right for us. I canned a batch of peaches and made one batch of peach jam. The rest was frozen and will soon turn into more peach jam. Strawberries continued to produce until about a week ago, though at a very low rate. We would eat a few and freeze a few. Now have enough frozen berries and I will soon turn that into strawberry jam. My apple tree is having its best year so far. While now edible, they have not developed the sweetness we want. Fortunately we hve not had an attack of various worms that have plagued us in many recent years. Now if the damned bear will leave them alone...

The avocado trees are looking grood with another large crop in our future. The orange tree is also looking to bear a great crop. Last year the first oranges were not ready until late January. Some years we have been able to pick and squeeze fresh OJ on Christmas day.

We lost one of the two blueberry bushes I planted. Got a nice little harvest this first year, perhaps bout 2 cups of blueberries from it, then it just went toes up. The other plant is looking good and will provide cuttings to propogate more bushes.

Kale, is still doing well though the rescent 100+ days of heat make it look pretty tired.

Well, that is about it on my garden update.

Take care all!

may be in trouble

Might look into CA hunting laws regarding taking care of your bear problem. Couple hundred pounds of bear meat and fat, the hide, claws and teeth too.

Do you have a robot?
    If a bear is in your yard you do not hunt it, its called deprivation and you do not need a tag.

AK I would love to move to Texas but I can not and will not stand the heat. I prefer the coast where it is at least a little cooler.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

I have still yet to grow a brain
    Got lots of ripening tomatoes and chile peppers. Melons and Pumpkins are just now starting out. It will be/is a good harvest.
    The tallest oak in the forest was once just a nut who held its ground.

Be decisive. Right or Wrong, make a decision. The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who could not make a decision.