Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vehicle electronics and EMP

For the Love of Cats

vehicle electronics and EMP

We all know that if an EMP is 'deployed' most of our electrical everything is fucked... so the question is, what parts would you need to stash in your handy dandy Faraday cage to get your rides up and running??

As a secondary, I would like to have my truck, currently a 98 Tacoma.

As Primary, I have a mid 90's Yamaha Kodiak Quad and an 90's Polaris Indy sled. What would I need for parts to refurb them after shtf? I also have a 2005 polaris sled, but I am not holding my breath on that one, although it would be wonderful to have.

Additionally... would things like chainsaws, older outboard engines, and power tools be affected?

What about your handy dandy generator? do you protect the whole thing, or do you have parts? if parts, what?
    My gen set is about a 2-1/2' cube... not the easiest to cage.

What do you have that you would like to have after the Klingons drop a Tribble filled Emp onto our asses?

And... discuss!
    Last edited by Sniper-T; 06-25-2016 at 03:17 PM.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

I have still yet to grow a brain
    GPS, Satellite Clock, Hand Held Radios, Computers, iPhone6s, Pure Sine Wave Inverter, Digital watches and and ATV.
    The tallest oak in the forest was once just a nut who held its ground.

Be decisive. Right or Wrong, make a decision. The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who could not make a decision.

Do you have a robot?
    Sniper I have thought a lot about just this subject. I have a newer pickup and for me to buy the parts to get it running again I would be better for me to buy an old truck. So I bought an older jeep and the parts are much cheaper. I will be buying its parts since they are so much cheaper. As to other things, I have a want/need for a UTV and it would be run into the same problem. I figure the electronics on it would be not as bad as say a car.

With regards to smaller power equipment, I would think my weed eater, chainsaw and lawn mower might come through.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

Bacon saver

HEI chips for both trucks 84's, radios, GPS, NV, range finder, etc. have their boxes as well. From there it's a guessing game, all you can do is wait and see,

As for the Tribbles...........I got two animals that are trained in TCQC. They also told me they're quite tasty! For information on sending your animals to the TCQC course go to tcqc.com DON"T DO IT! of course...........................they came back speaking japanese. With a southern accent. Yup turned out it was an actual website.
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Modern electronics would be screwed. Chainsaws, and mechanical tools that are of the like should be fine. Best I can reccomend, is get an older vehicle and start working on it. Get it up to snuff since it has zero electronics it should be fine.

Bottom line, if an emp hits, Im not worried about GPS and such, because that more than likely is already down due to the amount of electronics on a satellite, so they will more than likely be dropping fast anyways. If they arent down, then they will be soon because NASA more than likely wont be feeding corrections into satellites to keep them aloft. Best bet is get a compass, some maps, and start reacquainting yourself with land navigation old style/
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    One of the things I still need to do in-depth research on, is what will be the effect of EMP on batteries? Has anyone gotten any info on that who could share the wealth before I go digging into 739 different books looking for the answer?
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

Bacon saver

Agreed with the above statement, there are various free sites you can print out a topo of your local areas for you to try your "luck" on. GPS sats will, maybe, available but then gov. will snatch them up IF they get up and running. Updating will be a task, more like an exercise in futility, but then again the military has been "hardened" for many years for just such a thing going back to the cold war days. Now how lax have they become since I've retired? Hell, let's see they can't say God at a retirement ceremony in the Air Force (incident) ........um, back on track......don't know all I can say is they can't build a ship or boat for shit that's for sure thanks to your political military and defense contractors. Yes, I'm sure their gear is hardened but the chain of command is weak, and the leadership is worse and discipline is right there behind it. Which will result in a total collapse when the SHTF on board most at sea commands, shore commands I'll bet a majority don't show up because they'll have to go home to their alphabet soup sandwich. Where the fuck am I going??????????????

OK, yes think life without power YES! Kabota tractor dead, Ford tractor ALIVE, dirt bike ALIVE, chopper ALIVE, Night train dead. 4wheelers ALIVE. hey all fine an dandy till the petrol runs out. Better make sure "Midasize" muffler them puppies while you're at it. Sure it sounds cool, but you don't want them to hear you coming and going either. You know when you're out there snaggin petrol and whatnots.

Just trying to figure out how to get this MK-26 soft mount to mount on my 4 wheeler.................any Ideas on where to install the pintal mount? I guess I can handle steering and a M-2 at the same time...........

I have still yet to grow a brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormfeather View Post
    One of the things I still need to do in-depth research on, is what will be the effect of EMP on batteries? Has anyone gotten any info on that who could share the wealth before I go digging into 739 different books looking for the answer?
    Batteries will be good. This is the reason I stated a Sine Wave Inverter. Attach it to car battery and convert 12V to 120V
    The tallest oak in the forest was once just a nut who held its ground.

Be decisive. Right or Wrong, make a decision. The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who could not make a decision.

He's old and grumpy, but not fat. He'll be right back...he has to go tell some kids to get off his lawn

EMP will completely fry any modern autos or trucks electronics. Don't even try buying spares to get them back up and running, unless you are independently wealthy and have a real attachment to it. GPS will also be toast. Forget the internet too. Power hand tools no computer controlled will be fine, as will batteries. Believe it or not the military isn't as hardened as one would assume, they will loose most of their capability too. Your best bet is to go old school on everything you can. A horse, a bicycle, or an extremely muffled older auto/truck is the way to go.
    I spent to much time using my dick skinner's to repair military electronics to have much faith in any modern electronics surviving in either civilian or military hands.
    "There are no winners in war, only bigger losers"

If you see me or hear me coming, I'm not doing my job.

Bacon saver

I'm still Laughing about the "repairing military electronics" part. .. .. .. the sqq-32 sonar comes to mines. I cannot tell you how many stay cards and power supplies "we" have fried and could never get replacements. This puts a Minehunter DIW (welded, ah, nailed to the pier) when it comes to Minehunting. Sure you can sweep but that just covers your six. That sonar is what covered your intended path. They never did fix that problem, no, they "improved it" it still fries cards and power supplies to this day. Gotta love Raytheon............werkin for you baby!