Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hatchet or Saw?

I'm part Native American ,so a hatchet is the way to go. Tank,I'm also in West Michigan near M82

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    One of the things to remember with the wire saws is that it is very easy to overheat them and break them. If you get a good one, and are slow with it, it'll work. Run it too hard and fast, and it gets hot and snaps.
    I'm personally kind of on the fence over saw or hatchet. I have both, plus a full size axe. The axe isn't really much heavier, and would do so much more than the hatchet. However, the saw is lighter and quieter. I guess it would depend on the mission.
    I think a good combo might be a saw and good machete, especially a short to midlength one. The machete will do many of the small shaving type work that the saw just doesn't do, about the only thing left undone is serious splitting.
    If you have friends along, just have others carry something, and you can have them all. I could carry the machete, for trail breaking, my wife the axe, or the oldest son, and daughter the saw.

Saw hatchet and machette all have different uses with minor crossover with the exception of the sawback machette which suck as a saw... but will still saw. A good hatchet can be used as a draw knife, an ulu a skinner, a hammer, a pioneering wedge, a spoke shave and numerous other tasks that a saw simply can not do. A saw is just a saw BUT there are tasks you can not do with any other implement, such as cut a dove tail, cut precise lengths of wood, and cut quieter and cross cut faster than a hatchet can in most instances. For these reasons, in anything but an extremely basic kit, both are needed. As for a full axe, well thats a totally different tool, it's designed for felling trees and splitting heavy wood. Gunfixer has the right idea, gear NEEDS to be split among the people in the group. Rarely is there a need for redundancy in most of the tools. so the load out being divided out lightens the load and makes it possible for a more efficent kit.

The Tomahawk (With Video) | ShilohTV

I'm leaning in this direction

Tomahawk

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    I do have a tomahawk, and it is quite cool. However, it seems like it might be a bit limited if you were trying to chop wood with it, as it's kinda light.
    For non-firearm CQB, well, it'd be awesome. A good blade in one hand, and the 'hawk in the other.
    I just saw something neat today in the new SPG catalog. A Dutch firemans hatchet. Instead of the hammer side it has a pick opposite the cutting head. You could still do some hammering with the side flat. It has a 13" handle with steel guards, and weighs in a about 1 1/2 lbs.