Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hatchet or Saw?

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

Hatchet or Saw?

I have both but would drop the hatchet and never look back. Would you use one or the other? Do you think the weight is worth carrying a hatchet? I have a saw that I would take anyday/anywhere. Its a little cheap thing but I have put this thing through hell and back and the only way it ever let me down was cut my finger (I blame the tool, not the operator..lol) I plan to do a review on it soon.

So which would you choose?

Don't bring in the chainsaw, its in a class of its own.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

The source of all known trouble in the universe

If it is only a choice of having either one, I choose the hatchet. More uses than the saw.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

I'm with RJ. I keep the hatchet around. Definitely has more uses than the saw. I'll take the weight vs the versatility
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I'll most likely shit myself

I think I'm with LB on this one. You can cut most anything with a saw you can a hatchet. A be much quiter while doing so. Move up to a true ax and i'd change my mind. There is not a good way to spilt firewood with a saw.

To me a hatchet is just too small, unless you plan on driving stakes with it.

Crotch Rocket

I've been doing a little reading and thinking on just this lately, since tools can really impact the weight of a BOB and mine is/was just too damn big and heavy. A cutting tool isn't a necessity throughout most of the year here, but the ability is useful enough I'll keep my lightweight saw in it year round. I'll be adding my gerber hatchet in the winter when its going to be most effective and needed for splitting dry kindling and pounding tent pegs into the frozen ground. I'm still thinking about one of the gerber axe/ saw combos Kodiak mentioned for winter use.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

In this instance if I could only have one I'd take a hatchet any time. A good hatchet can double as a knife if necessary, strip poles much easier than a saw, split a decent size log if you use it like a wedge, double as a hammer and if absolutely necessary it can provide a reasonable emergency weapon. Additionally it's a whole lot easier to sharpen a hatchet out in the feild than it is a saw.

Saw

+1 weight
    +1 safer

For the Love of Cats

of those choices... hatchet. more versatile.

personally though... I'd leave em both at home, and take my machete.

Do you have a robot?
    Hatchet over a saw. It is better for fire starting. diwill99 I'm with you, the small ax is much more versatile than the saw. Mitunnelrat I have a Gerber too and have found it works well. I would much rather be in a position to have a full size ax but in a BOB it is not going to happen.

Lightbulb I have other option

Its going to cost you alot! But i bought a double bit axe that was use by people who had to carry while on horse back.Its 1-1/4lbs lighter than a normal one and uses a shorter and smaller handle.I gave $50 at a flea market and the ones ive seen on E-Bay got for $150 in the shape and name brand as mine. Dont give me a hard time over this im new and open minded!
    Last edited by ncmtnman; 09-22-2011 at 04:24 AM.