Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Generators

Generators

I am about ready to drop my $ and buy a generator in the next 10 days. My requirments are:

1. Portable - most are nowdays

2. In the area of 3000 watts continous power

3. Have electric start so my wife can fire it up if necessary

4. Relatively quiet

5. Be an invertor type

6. Last, it must be Kalifornia compliant (CARB)

I have been reading as much as I can find, now I want to know if anyone has personal experience with either of the following units:

Honda EU3000is - Have spent time with this unit at different times, home use and camping with my BIL.

PROS- Meets my requirements; the quietest unit around; about the lightest in the class; Has a long track record; 3 year warranty; up to 20 hours run time on 1 tank of fuel at 1/4 max output; can be chained with another unit for higher output

Cons Most expensive in the class; Japanese company, made in Japan

Champion 3500

Pros Meets my requirements; Slightly higher continuos output; several hundred dollars less than Honda; 2 year factory warranty; company is located about 30 minutes away if warranty work is needed;

Con Slightly louder (by only 3 db) than Honda but still acceptable; shorter run time, only 7 hours on a full tank at 1/4 max power; American company but made in CHINA

Let me know of your experience with either of these units. Remember that I have to be CARB compliant and I want it quiet for both camping use and OPSEC if that need arises

In small generators, any of the Japanese mfgs (Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki) are just excellent.

I think you might need the proximity for the Champion....

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Agree with fidel, if you can afford it get the Honda. You won't be disappointed.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

I'll most likely shit myself

No experience with the Champion. But I have used a Honda 2000 extensively with zero issues. Pull start is easy enough my wife can start it, with messed up shoulders. I will be buying a 2000 later this year. Would love to have the 3000 but the money is more than I can stand right now.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    buy once, cry once.

i wish i could have bought a honda... everything else has been trouble after its first two years. the one i have now is no exception
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

you check into service and parts for that Champion? - probably OK for the engine but what about anything else?

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

I have a generac 6500 watt, and it has done me well. It is 11 years old, and has only had oil changes done to it, has always been out in the weather. It has just recently started causing me trouble by making my surge protectors inside go bad. It still runs and works, but something is not right. It is also VERY LOUD. So I bought a used 7000watt, from my mother in law for 200 bucks, they only used it for one storm for 1 week. But have run it every month just to keep it up. Don't remember the name, but it has a Honda 11 hp engine. Still LOUD, but not as bad as the generac. Had I taken care of the generac, it would probably last me another 10 years.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

Do you have a robot?
    Honda is my only choice. I have used a bunch of different types and have never had a problem. I too am going to buy a 3000 watts, why because I can also hook up another 3000 watts if I need to get 6000 watts. Why not just buy a large one because the 3000 drinks less fuel.

Socal make sure you buy it out of state you save on taxes. A lot of places will give you free shipping.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

Thanks for all the responses. Helomech, I know folks in construction who swear by the Generac but the one reason they do not fit my requirements is the noise level rating. Recently we were camping by the beach near San Diego. Around 0330 I woke up and had to pee. I took my db meter outside and found that just the sound of the surf was 62db. I could not hear any other sounds. The quietest invertor generators have a noise level rating of 49db at minimum load up. The Honda is 49 to 67db at maximum output. I have about made the decision to go with the Honda. As Eleven Bravo said, buy once, cry once. I will search around for the best price and like Realist suggested not be adverse to buying out of state to save the high California tax rate.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

I have the Champion 3500, had it for about 7 years now. No issues and it still runs great. I'd buy another one if I needed to.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.