Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Generators

I have settled on the Honda EU3000. I did take a long look at the Yamaha. Indeed the Yamaha has slightly more power than the Honda but I can not get it at a price close enough to make it my number 1 choice.

I was actually set to pick up the Honda a few weeks ago when the wife's car took a dump with the transmission. Damn Chevy 6 speed automatic really screwed our plans on the genny. Hell, it took all my genny $$$ plus!

I hope to be able to save some more in the next month and a half and be able to pick it up by the end of October. While I have worked my rear off to pay off credit cards, I have even considered power an important enough prep to think about putting it on the card and paying it off in a few months. Trying to be strong and hoping S doesn't HTF before Nov. 2!

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Transmission repairs ARE expensive... Unless you drive a straight drive!

And for the humor in the thread...

"Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

may be in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Socalman View Post
    I have settled on the Honda EU3000. I did take a long look at the Yamaha. Indeed the Yamaha has slightly more power than the Honda but I can not get it at a price close enough to make it my number 1 choice.

I was actually set to pick up the Honda a few weeks ago when the wife's car took a dump with the transmission. Damn Chevy 6 speed automatic really screwed our plans on the genny. Hell, it took all my genny $$$ plus!

I hope to be able to save some more in the next month and a half and be able to pick it up by the end of October. While I have worked my rear off to pay off credit cards, I have even considered power an important enough prep to think about putting it on the card and paying it off in a few months. Trying to be strong and hoping S doesn't HTF before Nov. 2!
    Give us figures, man. If I have something to send, say the word.

It has been just over a year since I started this thread and EVERY time we are about ready to get the Honda, some other major expense that must be dealt with RIGHT NOW comes up. I still favor the Honda. Three reasons why the Honda really fits the bill for me: 1) portability 2) low sound footprint - even without baffles will be difficult to hear 3) reliability

The negative for #1 above is portability translates to stealability. However a BIG f-ing chain will hold it in place from all but the professionally equipped thieves.

I'll most likely shit myself

I purchased a EU2000 back in the spring. I am perfectly happy with it for the reasons you mentioned. But also for the fact they sip fuel vs the power they provide.

Four years & a month after starting this thread, I finally added a generator/invertor to our household. Early this past September we experienced a typical heat wave for Southern California, temps around 104 for several days. Then around the 5th of the month it got worse, we were recording temps of 116 - 117 for about 5 days. Normally we can deal with this. Heck as kids we did not even have air conditioning. However our electricity went AWOL early in the evening of the 6th, temperature had dropped to 110. To make things worse we are fairly close to where a new fire had started on the 6th, the Bobcat fire. (Currently has burned over 125,000 acres). We had no wind at all, good for the firefighters, bad for us. For the next two days we had no power, took food to our daughter's home and spent time at here house. That was the final straw, this state has closed electric generating stations in the past few years, this is going to become typical. Time to act now.

I finally opted for a Champion hybrid (dual fuel) unit. While not as quiet as the Honda I have wanted it is still fairly quiet at 64db. Run time on gasoline is supposed to be 17 hours on the tank (not sure of the size) and 18 hours on propane. Starting wattage is 4000 watts on gasoline and 3500 on propane. It is fairly light at 85 pounds. I added the optional wheel kit and even my little wife can roll it around easily. One minor negative for my wife is that it does not have electric start but it starts very easily via the pull cord. Of course if you do not keep the battery charged on other units, you still have to pull the cord.

Right now I can use extension cords to run refrigerator, freezer and lights and fans inside if the need arises. In a few weeks we will have a transfer switch installed so that we can power the vital appliances such as fridge, freezer, microwave, house fans, some lights, modem/router, even tv, without any extension cords.

I will keep you informed when we have the transfer switch installed.

I have still yet to grow a brain
    @Socalman, just purchased a DuroMax XP5500EH Generator. Running it with propane option. I am at ~6000’ elevation so I am expecting to lose about 18% HP. It is the first of this type of purchase.
    The tallest oak in the forest was once just a nut who held its ground.

Be decisive. Right or Wrong, make a decision. The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who could not make a decision.