Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Water storage

mine is grey, also shaped like a jerry can. I also picked up another 5 gallon diesel can.

With the recent storms that have finally come to So. Calif., I managed to save quite a bit of roof runoff. Some of the 5 gallon buckets, with lids, that filled were at one time holding pool chemicals, floor wax, cat litter, etc. and will only be used for watering the garden. The brand new, large trash barrel with lid will be saved and could be used for drinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Socalman View Post
    With the recent storms that have finally come to So. Calif., I managed to save quite a bit of roof runoff. Some of the 5 gallon buckets, with lids, that filled were at one time holding pool chemicals, floor wax, cat litter, etc. and will only be used for watering the garden. The brand new, large trash barrel with lid will be saved and could be used for drinking.

garbage cans are almost always from re-cycled plastics - never ever food grade for obvious reasons - you don't count stored water as potable ....

When I lived in the Burbs I daisy chained 4 55 gallon plastic drums (which I purchased new) into the water line...So I had 200 gallons of fresh water that refreshed itself every time someone flushed or used water.

Cheap, easy to do since the water line was right by the garage door, a 1-day project at best.

Now I have a well, and a cistern, and 4 IBCs plumbed into it all.... Oh and a great big honking lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    garbage cans are almost always from re-cycled plastics - never ever food grade for obvious reasons - you don't count stored water as potable ....
    I should have mentioned in the post that this is water that will be used on the garden when the rain stops. I would never store water in plastics that is not food grade.

may be in trouble

Is there a spray on or paint on food-grade lining material? Seems a shame to waste the capacity otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Kesephist View Post
    Is there a spray on or paint on food-grade lining material? Seems a shame to waste the capacity otherwise.

there's a number of requirements by the FDA - but the first & prime requirement is that only virgin plastic is used - never ever recycled plastics .... if you look over the types of containers that are included under the #2 recycle symbol they include petroleum products, petrochems like pesticides & herbicides, cleaners & detergents, acids, ect ect ..... the last thing you want is your food or water coming anywhere near contaminated plastic ....

Bacon saver

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel MD View Post
    Now I have a well, and a cistern, and 4 IBCs plumbed into it all.... Oh and a great big honking lake.
    I guess that means it has a lot of geese campin out there right?

Sounds like you got it wired tight.
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

For important things, I have at least 4 alternatives - Primary, Alternate, Contingency, Emergency....PACE.

Water is certainly important. And the geese have left me alone this winter Filthy creatures...

may be in trouble

Annoying to be sure. I mind in my boyhood in Iowa the creatures would fly so low that I'd be itching for a big enough throwing rock to knock one down.

As for PACE... back in the day, NASA called it "defense in depth" but they went only two levels , not four.