Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Budget Bug Out Trailer Build

Crotch Rocket

My Budget Bug Out Trailer Build

Ok, so maybe its going to be more of a yuppie off road glamper, but its going to be seriously badass either way. I started with this:
    An M416 1/4 ton. I paid a princely sum of $75 for this gem. No lights, one fender, mismatched tires, rust, and some bubba mods that about made me sick.

Looking at the rear of the tub, you can see it has a wood backer. This was someone's fix for hacking out a tailgate. The sides are bowed in, and the floor was starting to rot. Had it been in better shape, I'd have likely chosen to restore it to original, but I found another score on CL: A Bowie Mobile Veterinary Clinc

$50 for a (mostly) solid fiberglass box. Or so I thought. Its turned out to be so much more. I'll get back to that because I have one other major component that was a great score: A 35kw generator.

Its obviously an older one, but it works, and it only cost me $30.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Crotch Rocket

Getting back to the mobile clinic, it has two top lids, a rear hatch (that one needs a handle) Pull out drawers, that lock in place, hot and cold water tanks, electrical, and it had a heater, but it obviously caught on fire due to some visible damage. Its otherwise solid was I figured worth the money even if it needs a revamp. I was going to build all those things into a custom box anyway.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

I'd mount the genny on the front of the trailer...as far as the box. We will discuss it soon.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Crotch Rocket

So far I've gotten the tub off, and the shocks/pivot bolts/ leaf spring shackles replaced. They're all common with CJ3 Jeeps.

I started stripping the rust and old paint tonight, but my sand blaster doesn't play well with the compressor I have available, so its been with a flap disc and a grinder. Takes way too damn long, and since T has seen a preview of this he's already got me half cajoled into shopping this process out. However, I do like the difference I see already, even at my amateurish hands

I'm going to need to add some steel to the rear of the frame to accommodate the extra length of the box. Somewhere between 13-18", depending on how the wheel wells work with my tires. I'll also be boxing out the sides some so I can add jerry can mounts, have good light placement, and add an overhear rack for a rooftop tent. The generator will get mounted either on or just behind the tongue. The rear will sport a swing arm for mounting a spare tire and propane tank.

I have some other features I'd like to include, but I'll leave it at this for now. Hope its satisfied some curiosity.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Crotch Rocket

I just saw your post, LB. We're on the same page on the genny.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

I'll most likely shit myself

Did I read this wrong, your genny is a 35KW, or a 3.5KW?

I like where you are going with the trailer. Starting at the bottom and building it up is the way to go for sure. Be sure and check/pack the wheels bearing/races before you get too far along.

Great price on everything.

Crotch Rocket

Good call on the hubs. I have the tires and wheels planned for replacement this winter. I'll check them then.

and 3.5kw. lol. 3500 watt.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

I've got some steel rods for you. Maybe even some stock also.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Crotch Rocket

Oh, nice! That's gonna be awesome, thanks!

Hey, DG, I know you're gonna be around. I just wanna say...

MINE! Bwahahahah
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Nice build, cant wait to see it complete!
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.