Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Ten Essentials of Backpacking

Crotch Rocket

The Ten Essentials of Backpacking

As I was lurking around and searching through cyberspace I saw a reference to the The Ten Essentials.
    The original Ten Essentials list was assembled in the 1930s by The Mountaineers, a Seattle-based organization for climbers and outdoor adventurers. In 2003, the group's updated "systems" approach made its debut in its seminal text on climbing and outdoor exploration, Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills (The Mountaineers Books, 2010), now in its eighth edition.

Why create such a list? The book's editors explain: "The purpose of this list has always been to answer 2 basic questions: First, can you respond positively to an accident or emergency? Second, can you safely spend a night—or more—out?"

Packing these items whenever you step into the backcountry, even on day hikes, is a good habit to acquire. True, on a routine trip you may use only a few of them. Yet you'll probably never fully appreciate the value of the Ten Essentials until you really need one of them.
    These ten items are now, and once were, as follows:
    Updated Ten Essential "Systems"

Navigation (map and compass)
    Sun protection (sunglasses and sunscreen)
    Insulation (extra clothing)
    Illumination (headlamp/flashlight)
    First-aid supplies
    Fire (waterproof matches/lighter/candles)
    Repair kit and tools
    Nutrition (extra food)
    Hydration (extra water)
    Emergency shelter

Classic Ten Essentials

Map
    Compass
    Sunglasses and sunscreen
    Extra clothing
    Headlamp/flashlight
    First-aid supplies
    Firestarter
    Matches
    Knife
    Extra food
    I can't really say much more, or any better, than what I've quoted above, but I thought it was worth sharing here.
    Last edited by mitunnelrat; 09-02-2011 at 05:55 PM. Reason: spelling
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

Hygiene would be a must in my opinion.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Wants to know if that is a nut tool for a fire hydrant nozzle

Good find.

Crotch Rocket

Quote Originally Posted by LUNCHBOX View Post
    Hygiene would be a must in my opinion.
    I'm right with you on this, and have a hygiene kit in my BOB, but I only have the BOB now (revamp in progress but near completion, current weight is 31 pounds - winter load) to supplement my belt kit (21.5 pounds, complete), which is a self-contained unit in its own right. I don't have any hygiene items in it, though. I only packed what I absolutely needed to effectively move, shoot, and communicate.

As an aside, my FLC weighs in at a whopping 11 pounds (without water, 17 with) and my rifle weighs 7. That brings my current weight with pack, rifle, vest, and belt to 76.5 pounds. I need to add food and some odds n' ends to my loadout. I'm guesstimating another 10 pounds there at most, for a total estimated weight of 86-87 pounds. It sounds like a lot, but last time I weighed my kit it was at 150, so I dropped a total of 63 pounds!

Anyway, that was somewhat on topic I guess due to weight being an essential consideration in what we "need" to carry. But like I said, I have a hygiene kit, but I can also see where it wouldn't be an essential component to every kit.
    Last edited by mitunnelrat; 09-02-2011 at 05:56 PM. Reason: spelling
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Crotch Rocket

I got to work and realized I was wrong about my belt system. It does have some minimal hygiene items in the form of a folding trowel and some TP. So yes, lol. Hygiene is essential!
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Premium Member

re: hygeine...I keep a folding trowel, and some baby wipes. They keep pretty good, and can wipe more than just your backside in a pinch. Feeling somewhat clean can boost morale in a bad situation.

Quote Originally Posted by mitunnelrat View Post
    I'm right with you on this, and have a hygiene kit in my BOB, but I only have the BOB now (revamp in progress but near completion, current weight is 31 pounds - winter load) to supplement my belt kit (21.5 pounds, complete), which is a self-contained unit in its own right. I don't have any hygiene items in it, though. I only packed what I absolutely needed to effectively move, shoot, and communicate.

As an aside, my FLC weighs in at a whopping 11 pounds (without water, 17 with) and my rifle weighs 7. That brings my current weight with pack, rifle, vest, and belt to 76.5 pounds. I need to add food and some odds n' ends to my loadout. I'm guesstimating another 10 pounds there at most, for a total estimated weight of 86-87 pounds. It sounds like a lot, but last time I weighed my kit it was at 150, so I dropped a total of 63 pounds!

Anyway, that was somewhat on topic I guess due to weight being an essential consideration in what we "need" to carry. But like I said, I have a hygiene kit, but I can also see where it wouldn't be an essential component to every kit.

Tunnelrat, I think, I mean......oh hell, nevermind. (lol)

Crotch Rocket

lol... wut? (Hi Stig, how's that one? lmao) Seriously, either I'm missing something, or butt tape and a shovel doesn't mean I'm hygienic, or... am I still treating myself too much like a pack mule? The FLC isn't likely to be worn in most BO situations I can envision, and I'm pretty sure I could safely drop 10 pounds from my pack weight... So my load could as easily be 65 pounds... That's with rifle and sidearm by the way, and still some ammo to feed both.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Tunnelrat, I'm just messing with you....I think not matter what your starting weight is, it won't take to long before you find what you really need and not just what you want. I have carried a heavy pack to start an exercise and by the time it was over I had accidently lost a few items. OOOOOPS. I'm sure there are a few of us that have done that before.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by LUNCHBOX View Post
    Tunnelrat, I'm just messing with you....I think not matter what your starting weight is, it won't take to long before you find what you really need and not just what you want. I have carried a heavy pack to start an exercise and by the time it was over I had accidently lost a few items. OOOOOPS. I'm sure there are a few of us that have
    done that before.
    I would NEVER have done that............
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.