In training we always say distance it your friend. It gives you time to react either offensively or defensively. I like the idea of having distance from cities. However where I live things have grown up over time. Where we were a smaller town when we moved here it has now grown to over 100,000. I do have a place to go which is two hours north with a very small population. This has always been my fall back location. As for distance and travel with regard to MPG of the car. I have a truck and always use a figure of 10 MPG to get anywhere. This is derived from a two MPG buffer when I am towing a trailer of weight. When empty it goes up to 16 MPG. So for my trip of north I can still make it if I have a third of a tank.

Regarding FEMA evacuation. Years ago there was an report written on where people would be evacuated to in the event San Francisco and the surrounding area had to be evacuated. It was not pleasant to read. There are no large facilities up here so I have no clue where people would stay. I just know I would not want to be around.