Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selco Wisdom - Top 5 SHTF "Surprises"

Selco Wisdom - Top 5 SHTF "Surprises"

http://shtfschool.com/general/top-5-shtf-surprises/

if not familiar with Selco - survived the civil war period in the Balkans and now writes and has a training school teaching mostly urban SHTF survival ....

read everything the guy writes - compares as close to what the US can expect than anything else around ....

Do you have a robot?
    Selco has some interesting stories to tell. In the first section of how close will the fighting be it is all the more reason why I like to live in the country. However, in Europe the old homes were built like forts with thick walls and thick doors. I had a guy I worked with who told me he breached one front door that weighed around 800 pounds, now that is a door. The walls being made of stone in many cases will stop most rounds unlike the stick framed or red brick homes most people own in the US.

Selco also goes into what happened to the people in the rural areas. Many of which perished because they did not ban together for defense. Those who chose to go it alone in many cases were just picked off one by one.

I thought it was interesting on how he talked about the changing of sides which happened so often. One day you are fighting your neighbor and the next you are fighting alongside them. I do not know how you could trust them. Then again it is kinda like what the military is doing today to train foreign troops, you have to keep your head on a swivel.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

He's old and grumpy, but not fat. He'll be right back...he has to go tell some kids to get off his lawn

Interesting article, but I found little new in it. Would things be different here? In some cases yes. Big thing there at the time was people aligned themselves along different lines. There was a big push for ethnic/religious cleansing. Here you have racial/gang/family lines that will determine the lines people in cities would align themselves along. Space also makes a difference. Our rural areas are much more spread out. A good woodsman can stay hidden forever if he truly knows his AO. Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.
    "There are no winners in war, only bigger losers"

If you see me or hear me coming, I'm not doing my job.

Crotch Rocket

Definitely a good article.

Stg, I see what you're saying, but are the "differences" really all that different, even? Division is division, and so is eradication. I also have a feeling we'd see cleansings here as well.

The other thing is, I don't think very many of today's "woodsmen" are very good woodsmen. Even one of the fellas who eluded capture for a good number of years was spotted on a fairly regular basis. I'll see if I can find the article to link.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Do you have a robot?
    It would be hard enough to survive out in the woods by yourself but can you imagine being a city dweller and now you have a significant other along with a couple of rug rats to take care of out there.

Crotch Rocket

and that just skims the surface, realist. Consider the "reality" shows of Swamp Men, American Hogger, and most of the Alaskan shows... the common denominator between all of them is a large reliance upon gasoline engines to accomplish their tasks. Could some of them give it a go without that? Yes, but for how long? And how long will they go if they continue to utilize those engines, especially CONUS? The sound of those engines will carry a long, long way.

I also take into consideration that the "best" outdoorsmen I know personally are also incredibly specialized and narrow in what they know and can do. And not a one of them generally carries enough gear or supplies to make it even overnight out in the woods.

and yet...

...there is this guy. I got the details all wrong, but this is the article I was looking for.
    http://www.gq.com/story/the-last-true-hermit
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Do you have a robot?
    MT I has been a while since I read the story you posted. There have been others out there but I have not seen anyone as long as this guy, with the exception of the family who live in the woods in Russia to escape the purges. This guy I agree lived off others so he was not really a woodsman. It was interesting how he prepared to live out the cold winter by gaining weight in order to help survive the winter. Most people would look a someone like this as being harmless unless they had to stay up at night because their kids were scared of the "bad guy". It is also interesting that once he was found he had to stay in civilization, hard to go back and then he would have to steal again. I think one of the reasons why he lived so long is he was able to keep his location clean. Sanitation is critical no matter where you live, too many people do not take this into consideration.

When you read Selco's story you begin to understand how ugly that civil war (heck, I would say all war) is. I do not know what would take place in this country. I know that there are forces at work who would love to divide us into various factions so that if SHTF does happen we would see a similar situation.

Being a suburban dweller without the skills to survive for months, perhaps years in the wilderness, I do not prep with the idea of being able to come out of that situation. We are prepped for a good several months of perhaps a natural disaster, followed by a good deal of civil unrest. Who knows what will happen if we descend into a civil war again?

Selco is the real deal. I'm a proud graduate of his SHTF School. A lot of practical ideas born of survival in an urban setting.

What if you had to stay warm during a long-term SHTF situation?

another urban survival article by Selco - this one covers surviving a Euro winter off grid and in a combat environment ....

http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-new...ation_01042018